Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

1995 Ford F-150 Starter help

Old 03-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Default 1995 Ford F-150 Starter help

Hello everybody. I am new to the board here because I actually don't own a ford. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have done extensive work on my Subaru STi and a Mitsu Evo.

Long story short is that I have friend who is going through really tough times due to the economy and his F-150 has been sitting in his driveway not running for a year now because the starter is shot. At this point he really needs his truck fixed.

Unfortunately I hadn't talked to him for a while and I didn't know his situation until his wife told me everything.

Well, I want to go about fixing this for him because he simply can't swing it to take it to somebody to get it running again.

What I need to know is where I can buy the starter for the cheapest price (like I said I don't know Fords so am unsure of where to buy parts at the best price). If somebody could hook me up with the part number and a good website where I could pick it up that would be great. A rebuilt part would also be suitable.

Also, what tools do I need to replace the starter. He does not have tools so I would be taking my tools to his house to get this done. It would help if I could get the wrench and socket sizes I might need as well as any special tools.

If anybody has a link to a walkthrough that would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:33 AM
Default Acai Max Cleanse

Tacoma or also consider the Tundra. The Tacoma and F-150 are the best out of those two. The Tacoma got great raitings and previous models are the best. F-150s are alright and I would not reccomend Silverado.
Acai Max Cleanse

Old 03-15-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by brucetre
Tacoma or also consider the Tundra. The Tacoma and F-150 are the best out of those two. The Tacoma got great raitings and previous models are the best. F-150s are alright and I would not reccomend Silverado.
Acai Max Cleanse
what the HELL does this have to do with a starter???? this site needs some competent moderators!!!

you will only need a few common tools nothing special that i know of, jack and jack stands for safety,disconnect battery and have at it!! just go to autozone or your local parts dealer for the starter unless you find one online with FREE sgipping!!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:48 AM

This one I know a little about. My 95 F150s starter went out about four years ago. When I went to buy one at the local auto parts was told Ford item only. Something to do with it being a High Torque starter. Are you sure the starter is bad..Could be the solenoid that sits on top of the starter. The thing under the hood that looks like the old Ford relay is not the starter relay..It is now called just that a relay. I would pull the starter, put it on a bench and test it by applying 12V from a known good battery. If it spins and the bendix (which I also could not get at local store back then) is in good shape, your problem is probably in the relay on the fender well under the hood. I carry a spare of both the solenoid and relay in my truck at all times. Note, they may have the complete starter in the local stores now? Carl