Concept & Rumor Mill Heard you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in.

Ford Transit Connect in N. America

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Question Ford Transit Connect in N. America

I’m very interested in the Transit Connect I saw at the Car Show last month. I sat in the European one at the show and have since read everything I could find about it on the web. They’re not available here just yet but I’m very interested.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/transitconnect/

I’ve owned four E-vans in the past and know Ford makes great commercial vehicles: my expectations are high. Everything I’ve read about the Transit Connect sounds perfect for my needs with one major exception: the small and seemingly de-tuned engine. What I’ve read is that they’ve used the same 2.0 I-4 engine as is in the Focus but which makes 4 more HP in the Focus. In the much heavier Transit it’s rated at only 136 HP.

I’m wondering, is there some magic that Ford has put to use here which is going to make the little 2 litre engine actually strong enough to get the 3400 lb (unladen) Transit briskly up hills and into freeway traffic etc. and if not, what if any modifications might improve what I expect to be lack-lustre performance for the Transit? It’s supposed to be the same engine as the Focus for which after-market Turbo kits are available, although pretty expensive.

The torquey little diesels found in European models are not offered in N. Am Transits and neither is the Focus RS 2.0 litre turbocharged and intercooled 16-valve Duratec engine (which would be great!). I’m really keen on just about all other aspects of the Transit Connect but before I get myself too carried away, need to determine if I can get along with its engine.

I know it’s early (they're not even in show rooms yet) but I’m champing at the bit... any ideas or comments?

Thanks!

Last edited by Conundrum911; 05-04-2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: add link
Old 06-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Interesting....thanks for the link.