Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

1996 oil pressure light came on and car died

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 12:40 PM
Default 1996 oil pressure light came on and car died

Drive home yesterday from about 30 mile drive doing highway speed of 65-70mph and about 1 mile from home oil light came on and noticed ticking from motor. Pulled up in front of my home and car died. Checked the oil and it barely register on the dipstick so I added a quart which brought it to about two quarters low. I barrowed my neighbors vehicle, went to Auto parts store and got more oil and new filter. I got back and was going to put more in but checked dipstick first and this time it was full??? There's quite a bit of oil around the oil pressure sensor which could still be there from oil spilling from filter during last oil change. Didn't look like current filter had leaked oil but possible. I did not try to restart based on the way it sounded when it died. Sounded like it had seized. This morning, I cranked the motor over by had to be certain it hasn't seized but I'm still worried about trying to start base on the ticking and the oil leaking around the sensor(which I am going to replace first). Any ideas why it showed Two quarts low and then full? Why it obviously wasnt getting oil to the top and why it temporarily seized? Oil pump replacement it's a bit expensive during this pandemic time. Suggestions if it is the oil pump or how to verify for sure? Just turned 150,000 bunny not sure on that accuracy as I have caught the digital speedo registering 0 sometimes when driving

Old 03-10-2021, 06:42 PM

If it really did seize , the damage has already been done.
You can hook up a regular gauge to the oil galley or where the sending unit is located and see what kind of oil pressure it has. , Cold and warm.
If the oil drain holes on the heads are clogged, it could prevent the oil from draining back to the crankcase. If this is so, regular oil changes and quality oil usually prevent this..