Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

2003 cvpi starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 02:53 AM
Default 2003 cvpi starting problem

Hi. I have a 2003 cvpi that gives some trouble starting up. I have to crank motor for around 15 to 30 seconds before it will turn over. When it does it runs a bit rough but smooths out quickly and you can smell fuel odor from under hood. No "check engine" light comes on for this. This happens when warm and cold. I have brought car to shop a few times for this. They scanned car and changed a coil pack, purge valve, and a line to purge valve. After those items were changed the car went back and some problem with the charcoal canister and solonied was found. I replaced those items. ISC valve was just changed and fuel rail temp sensor and fuel damper were checked. Injectors and throttle body were cleaned. Only thing that seemed to do was help with aceleration. When I changed the ISC and opened up air filter box a strong fuel smell was present. MAF sensor looks pretty clean although I did not clean that or the large hose attached to housing. This is really getting to me because the shop can't figure it out and I am out of ideas and can't keep pulling it off the road for this BS. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

Old 09-13-2009, 11:45 AM

Hi Mikey,

I don't know if you have tried this already, but try reseting the fuel pump switch in the trunk (drivers side) and replace the fuel filter.
Two easy tips, that may help...

All the best of luck though!

Mark

Old 09-13-2009, 02:57 PM

Hi Mark. Yes I tried that as well when the fuel filter was changed. The button didn't go down but I uplugged it and ran engine until it stalled. Then plugged it back in after changing filter. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:37 AM

Ok got fed up with this problem and took it to the dealer. They fixed the problem which was my next guess anyways... A fuel injector was stuck open when car was shut off. That was causing all of these problems I was having. Now I have a car that starts up fine and no fuel smell either.