Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

car feels like it is going to conk out when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Default car feels like it is going to conk out when stopped

Hi,
I have a 1990 Ford Crown Victoria Wgn. 190,000 miles, v-8, 5.0L.
Upon stopping at a light, car has rough idle and then feels like it is going to conk out.
I put the diagnostic to it and at first it gave the code to change the egr sensor which I did. It still does the same thing. I tried cleaning the Idle Control valve and it helped a little then it starting again. I put the diagnostic to it again and now it states nothing wrong.
Would any one know what is making the car do this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I cleaned my spark plugs which was changed last year, changed oil, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, and also had a new fuel pump put in.
Thank you

Old 09-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Default RE: car feels like it is going to conk out when stopped

Check for any vaccum leaks, and make sure the EGR and all the passages are clean. The blade in the throttle body needs to be clean in order for it to seal properly at idel. It also might be a good idea to run some fuel injector cleaner thrrough your next tank of gas.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Default RE: car feels like it is going to conk out when stopped

hey newyorker,sounds like your intake passages are packed with carbon or the egr valve is hung up,meaning its stuck in the open position causing a major vacuum leak.get a vacuum tester.start the engine and let it idle.pull the vacuum line off the egr and plug it.now with the vacuum tester apply vacuum to the egr see if this changes the way it idles when vacuum is applied.it should run rough as hell.once vacuum is let off it should run smooth.try to keep an eye on the egr valve while doing this to make sure its opening and closing.sometimes you may have to take the egr off to check the operation and see if the egr port is clogged or the egr tube.its common for the crown vics to keep setting off the egr/dpfe code because under the throttle neck is clogged with cabon which youll have to pull the throttle neck and clean the passage......