Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Crown Vic Heater Hose, Under Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Default Crown Vic Heater Hose, Under Intake

I would like to know if there are any tips for this swap, it sure seems like a lot of work for a $2.00 part,,, and that Stinks !

Be Blessed
Steven

Heater Hose UNDER Intake Manifold, was THIS one of FORDS Better Ideas ??

Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 PM

You can remove the wiper module and fish the new hose under the intake without removing the intake. It is close work, but you can do it.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Default Thanks Way2Old

But in my Haynes manual it shows this hose attached to a hard line coming out the back of the water pump, I don't see how I could disconnect the old one and reconnect the new one, after I got it fished through.

be blessed

Steve-O

Old 04-29-2010, 05:23 PM

The new hose has a rubber section about 3 or 4 inches long. Use a small hose clamp to attach it. You might need a small hacksaw to cut the old one off. Disconnect the negative battery cable and then remove the alternator to get more access to the connection. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:46 AM
Default That Would be a Blessing

Man if that will work it will be a BIG blessing, there looks to be a bunch of stuff that would have to come off IF the intake had to be removed, and although I believe that I could do it, I Certainly was NOT looking forward to it!
Thank You so much, Way2Old, for taking the time to help..

Be Blessed
Steve-O

Old 04-30-2010, 07:57 PM

Just take your time. The new hose assembly will flex enough to get it under the intake. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:08 AM
Default It's a DONE Deal

Way2Old, I thank you for the encouragement you gave me in attempting this project, it took me several weeks to feel confident enough to attempt it !
Here's the STORY !
Removed fan shroud, removed alternator, removed wiper arms, shroud and wiper motor. There are several vacuum hoses, and electrical plugs to remove, around where the heater hoses enter the heater core. I bought 5' of 3//4" heater hose, and 4 new Heavy duty Clamps.
Reach down under where the alternator was and take the clamp off of the bad hose, you will need to cut the old hose length ways to get it off of the nipple.
Take some 1" wide emery cloth and clean up the nipple.
This hose that you are replacing goes directly to the heater core. AFTER you determine which one it is, remove it from core. There is a HOLE right next to the EGR valve that will accomodate the NEW 5' x 3/4" heater hose, HOWEVER, I had to feed it from the FRONT of the engine, towards the back, and you need a helper to get it Fished through, while pushing it from front to back, have your helper look down the hole to see when it can be grabbed with a pair of long needle nose pliers to pull it up, while you are pushing and turning it from the front. This took about 15 min. to get done. Leave equal amounts of it stick out the front and back for right now.
Go in the house and get a Cup of Coffee, and a shot glass full of dish washing liquid soap and a few Q-Tips
Apply a liberal amount of soap inside the end going on the nipple down inside the intake manifold, being careful not to get any on the outside of the hose, (it makes it to slippery to work with. RIGHT NOW, put your NEW clamp on, so you don't forget it, like I did.
Have your helper GENTLY pull the hose back towards the heater core until the front is close to where it needs to be.
Gently start the hose onto the nipple and slide it on MOST of the way, this will take a while also. When it is around 1/4" from bottomed out, put some BLACK RTV silicone on your finger and apply a liberal amount all around the nipple, then slide the hose the rest of the way on.
Don't worry about getting the old pipe out, I just left it in there an abandoned it. NOW, route the new heater hose so there are no kinks and cut it to the length that you need to put it on the heater core hose. Clamp it, and start putting everything back. THIS process saves a person from having to REMOVE the WHOLE intake manifold for the hose replacement.
Blessings
Steve Conroy

Old 05-18-2010, 07:11 PM

Good job. Just ensure the hose does not vibrate against anything sharp and creats a hole. You can buy wiring loom that will fit over it and snake it through. Takes a little while, but it is extra insurance.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Default It works!!!

Thank you for posting this repair. I was on the verge of selling my 1994 Grand Marquis with 182K miles because of the leaky heater hose under the intake manifold. After reading your thread, I decided to give it one last shot. Was able to leave the wiper motor in place, and only removed the alternator. I used a 3/4" hose, cut the end at an angle, greased up the outside, and threaded it through the driver's side of the intake manifold. I came around behind the transmission dipstick, and behind the passenger side head. I had to use the 90 degree bend in the original hose to make the corner of the heater box. The original hose seems to have been 5/8 behind the water pump and enlarges to 3/4 at the heater core, so I put two screw type hose clamps to make sure and seal it. Two weeks now, and not a drop of coolant has leaked out. It took a while to do, but it was sure easier than removing the intake manifold. This was the only post I found that mentioned this repair, so I just want to express my appreciation. Thanks guys, and keep sharing the information.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Smile Thanks!

Thanks for the info., I have a 1997 crown vic and opted to do this repair when I was replacing the intake due to a coolant leak, much cheaper than the hose and pipe and easy to repair in the future (if needed).