Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

ding ding ding

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:21 AM
Default ding ding ding

1993 Crown Vic. Whenever I open the driver's door the alarm chime goes ding ding ding ding ........ Nothing else matters -- key in or out, engine running or not, sitting in the car or not, seat belt fastened or not, lights on or off.

All I really want to know is where to aim my 12-ga shotgun to disable the stupid chime. It's getting mighty old.

The ignition switch has been replaced -- no change.

Is there an alarm chime relay that might need replacing? Where is it located?

Thanks.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ding ding ding

Could be the column mounted 'key in ignition' switch.. Even if the ignition were replaced (since a seperate part),, the grounding prong (completes the key in ignition circuit with key installed) could be grounding/shorted out causing the chime to run even though the keys are out of the ignition.. Easy way to test would be to pull the column covers and remove the ignition switch, then slide the plastic piece with the brass grounding leg off of the ignition switch bore.. Tape the removed piece and move it to the side out of the way and re-install the column/covers.. Or, you can cut the black wire leading to the grounding tab...

I'd look there first for a chime (ding) that is a constant...

Old 12-25-2007, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Hayapower

Could be the column mounted 'key in ignition' switch.. Even if the ignition were replaced (since a seperate part),, the grounding prong (completes the key in ignition circuit with key installed) could be grounding/shorted out causing the chime to run even though the keys are out of the ignition.. Easy way to test would be to pull the column covers and remove the ignition switch, then slide the plastic piece with the brass grounding leg off of the ignition switch bore.. Tape the removed piece and move it to the side out of the way and re-install the column/covers.. Or, you can cut the black wire leading to the grounding tab...

I'd look there first for a chime (ding) that is a constant...
I am pretty sure Hayapower means the ignition lock cylinder, not the ignition switch. After removing the lock cylinder you can see a small plastic insert with a metal tab that grounds to the cylinder, this may be the problem. It could be bent or stuck keeping the chime active. Check here first before replacing any more parts.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks, Hayapower and Dennis.

I had the "ignition switch" replaced at the Ford dealer because it was getting loose and sloppy. Might not be using the right term. It was the ignition lock cylinder. On some cars they are separate parts. On my '86 Volvo 240 the ignition switch is attached to the lock cylinder by 3 little screws. Not sure about the Crown Vic.

I didn't have it replaced because of the stupid ding ding ding. But I was hopeful ;-).

Anyway I'll pull the lock cylinder and see what I can see. Then I'll have AAA tow it to the dealer to fix my mistake. Or I could go back to the dealer and claim it was working perfectly before they messed it up. Nah, just kidding.