Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1979 Ford Econoline Camper

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Default 1979 Ford Econoline Camper

Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a Ford Econoline 1979 Camper. Currently the vehicle sale will be pending inspection etc however I am concerned regarding the safety of these vehicles.

Does anyone out there recommend these vehicles for winter use? I live in an area that is winter literally 6 to 8 months of the year and I am worried regarding how this vehicle angles during the winter months.

It will be used as a daily driver and I know that there are tons of reviews stating not use it as a daily driver. Any thoughts on this?
I've read tons of reviews stating not to use it as a daily because it guzzles insane amounts of gas. I'm more concerned regarding the safety issues with the vehicle. This is my main concern. It will be used as a daily but it will also be used to get out to the mountains. Buying a new vehicle of this size and standard would put me out 100K which is out of the question. I want a large van, modern fit it for comfort, space and relaxation which is why I'm interested in this vehicle. It's selling for 6K.

The vehicle has less than 50 kil on the dial which is insane. It was lady driven by and elderly lady who used it for road trips to the mountians with family as well. Which is why we are buying it.

---------------------------------------------------
Plans to modernize the vehicle:

All new dash kit, meters and stereo, heating units etc.

Original steering wheel to keep one retro feature.

All carpet in vehicle ripped out (it's everywhere).

All new ceiling fabric installed. (Beige)

All new ceiling track and task lighting.

All new rubber side panels and black rubber non slip flooring.

New driver and front passenger captain chairs.

New rear passenger swivel chairs with recliner.

Kitchenette and bed in back will be ripped out entirely.

New three seater couch with seat belts becomes a bed.

Two mini fridges (one for food and one for drinks) and two cabinets for storage or food/snacks.

{ One mini fridge on on side with a cabinet next to it and same for the other} Fitted counter tops of each side with grip pads, cup holders.

A wall mounted flat screen t.v. with bluray.

On the ceiling there is currently track lighting that will be ripped out and new LED track lighting will be installed. Two dimming side sconces will be on either side of the couch for comfort effect (it's dark back there).

All new curtains will be fitted shades.

-----------------

The flooring, dash, half way up the wall and door panels will be black rubber. It's new and it's really cool looking. From the window up will be beige fabric. Silver tacking and track rails to keep the rubber firmly in place will be used to mimic the crome in the exterior.

I'm looking to also add an AC/HEAT long panel to the centre beam close to the track lighting so that the rear has AC as well as decent and sufficient heat.

-----

ANY IDEAS ARE WELCOMED!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 09-20-2011, 02:08 PM

If it has a 460 under the hood , you can bet it has a healthy gas appetite.