Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1988 E150 Camper

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 11:28 PM
Default 1988 E150 Camper

Today I bought a 1988 Econoline 5.0L camper style with high ceiling​. First Ford besides a Taurus when I was first turning 16. 04327 miles on odometer, documents from 2013 shows 04185 miles. Same owner since 2013.

Last maintenance 6-19-13: distributor replaced I check the fluids, removed a good bit of hornet's nest like a mountain's worth and started cleaning out the inside which wasn't really dirty just full of dead bugs and dust.
I put jumper cables on the battery and tried it off of my car with no luck other than a slight groan. Went and got a new battery, now it turns over but doesn't crank. In between each of these steps I would try to start it with starter fluid into the intake. It's got a lot of winawinawinawina but no chickachickachicka if you know what I mean.

​​​​​-drained gas tank(fuel was a gross brown color)-check spark plugs they were good on the inside but rusty on the portion of the plug that was outside of the block-use spark plug light bulb tester (with no light)
-change distributor coil pack
-use spark plug light bulb tester again (no light)

That's where I stopped today. I bought the distributor cap as well and will probably change that tomorrow. I think I can hear the fuel pump, if I put my ear to the rear gas tank and listen while someone else turns the key to the on position (but doesn't try and crank it) I believe I hear what sounds like a pump.

I would like some guidance, advice, whatever you got really. I tried to upload pictures through manage attachments but didn't have much luck, it actually kept deleting the thread.

So I definitely have power because the battery is new. What's a good write up of the steps I should take. Here is what I think as an amateur:
-Add fresh fuel and a cleaner
-Buy fuel pressure checker-What if no pressure? Does that mean a bad fuel pump or possibly fuel pump relay?
-I'm not sure of the little gadget I was using with the light bulb was quality.
-We took 1 plug out and held it to the metal frame and couldn't see a spark jump off there either.
-how can I better check for spark?

Thanks for reading I hope you'll reply.

Last edited by Xmba1991x; 08-20-2021 at 11:48 PM.