Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1988 E150 Camper

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 03:26 PM

I went ahead and changed the distributor cap while doing so I noticed that the wiring diagram that I've looked at does not match up with the way that the spark plug wire is run off of the distributor cap.

1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 is the firing order I found. Currently the diagram for the cap wires puts 7 at 8 8 at 3 3 at 5 and so on. Tracing the plug wires to the block is fairly simple. I am going to wire the cap such that each tower lines up with each spark plug.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:21 PM

Still no good. Can't seem to get spark. Replaced coil and distributor cap but nothing changes.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:42 PM

This is what I was worried about.
Just to make sure we are on the same page, did you put the #1 spark plug wire in exactly the same position on the new cap?
The wires on the cap MUST go in the same firing order as the engine. Do/did they? The distributor turns in a counterclockwise direction and the plug wires must follow that direction on the cap. If you try to make the job look beautiful , that IS NOT GOOD !
If the wires are in the wrong place on the cap , be glad it won't start because if spark is sent to the wrong cyl at the wrong time you could get a backfire in the intake or exhaust.
There is a special procedure to determine when #1 cyl is in position to fire and the rotor in the dist must be pointing to the #1 spark plug wire tower on the cap.
There is a good possibility the ign module may have poor connections or may be defective. Before doing anything the correct setting of the wires on the cap MUST BE VERIFIED.
In the mean time see if you can find the marks on the crankshaft pulley that show TDC and a few degree marks. then look for the pointer on the cover just behind the crankshaft pulley. I will need to give you the step by step procedure to determine when #1 cyl is in firing position. This is going to take some time so be prepared.
Will be back in the AM.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:03 PM

"Just to make sure we are on the same page, did you put the #1 spark plug wire in exactly the same position on the new cap?"
According to the 5.0 L distributor diagram I obtained here (and is shown in the next post) " https://www.fixya.com/cars/t25006675...stributor_1988 " the plug wires were ran incorrectly.

"The wires on the cap MUST go in the same firing order as the engine. Do/did they?"
From what I could tell, they did not go in the same firing order as the engine. Tower post number 8 led to spark plug number 7 etc.
But this is banking on the diagram i obtained here "https://www.fixya.com/cars/t25006675-need_diagram_wiring_distributor_1988"

"The distributor turns in a counterclockwise direction and the plug wires must follow that direction on the cap. If you try to make the job look beautiful , that IS NOT GOOD !
If the wires are in the wrong place on the cap , be glad it won't start because if spark is sent to the wrong cyl at the wrong time you could get a backfire in the intake or exhaust.
There is a special procedure to determine when #1 cyl is in position to fire and the rotor in the dist must be pointing to the #1 spark plug wire tower on the cap."

The diagram i was looking at which is listed in the link at "https://www.fixya.com/cars/t25006675-need_diagram_wiring_distributor_1988" states that the rotor turns in the counter-clockwise. I will check the rotor direction, I did check to see that the rotor was spinning however i did not check its orientation.

"There is a good possibility the ign module may have poor connections or may be defective. Before doing anything the correct setting of the wires on the cap MUST BE VERIFIED."
I can take pictures, post videos, whatever you need. I can't elaborate enough that my entire distributor wiring experience is stemming from "https://www.fixya.com/cars/t25006675-need_diagram_wiring_distributor_1988" where i used the 5.0 L distributor diagram with firing order 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8.

"In the mean time see if you can find the marks on the crankshaft pulley that show TDC and a few degree marks. then look for the pointer on the cover just behind the crankshaft pulley. I will need to give you the step by step procedure to determine when #1 cyl is in firing position. This is going to take some time so be prepared.
Will be back in the AM."

Okay gotcha I will pinpoint where on the crankshaft the degree marks are. I did see them on the picture on the wiring diagram, but of course was ignorant to the fact that it was even relevant.
Hanky thanks man I am really looking forward to continuing my project now, I appreciate ya!

Last edited by Xmba1991x; 08-21-2021 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:10 PM

This is the wiring diagram I used from https://www.fixya.com/cars/t25006675...stributor_1988

Is TC the TDC you are referring to on the crankshaft?
I see TDC stands for top dead center, I am assuming TC means the same thing. Looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow morning.

Last edited by Xmba1991x; 08-21-2021 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:56 AM

This is what you must do,
Remove the cap from the dist.
With the key, crank the engine over to note which direction the crank pulley goes. (clockwise or counterclockwise)
Remove the #1 spark plug
turn the engine over in the normal direction of rotation by hand, you can use the nut on the alternator to do this.
You should hear/feel pressure coming out of the #1 spark plug hole, that is when the piston is coming up on the compression stroke
Now watch the crank pulley and rotate the pulley until the pointer is in line with the TDC mark
Once lined up, note where the rotor on the dist is pointing, it should be pointing to the #1 spark plug tower on the cap when you set the cap on .
If not sure ,repeat the procedure ,
Now that you are sure the cylinder was coming up on the compression stroke AND lined up the TDC mark with the pointer, that is where your number one spark plug wire should be on the cap and the rotor pointing to that tower on the cap.
Once you have verified where #1 is, continue to insert the remaining plug wires , going counterclockwise on the cap according to the firing order.
When done correctly, the wires on the cap look terrible , but they will be right.
For the spark plug wires on cyls 7 &8 do not let them run next to one another ,parallel, separate them with the other wires on that cyl bank.
When this is done correctly , you can be sure it's right and install the cap.
Now , you can remove the plug from the ign module and make sure the connections are clean and tight.then reinstall the plug..
If all was done exactly as instructed , if fuel is present and spark , it should start.
How did you get the vehicle home? Did it run at all?

Old 08-22-2021, 10:15 AM

Okay hanky I will be following your instructions over the next two hours and will update you.

I have not got the van running yet, it is parked a short drive from my house. Last I know the previous owner got the van running a year and a half ago, he took the van to a mechanic and they replaced the distributor.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:12 AM

We get kinda itchy when we hear some stories and at this point I wonder if they got the thing running at all and could be why they decided to unload it.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:55 AM

I did call the mechanic at the shop that worked on it and he acknowledged it, as far as that goes.

Here's an update for you, I can't find any indicators on the crank pulley. I turned the alternator for a while after removing cylinder number 1 but never heard anything coming from the cab as far as a pushing air sound.

I trust the guy, he has a 73 Mach 1 fastback with jet,
66 mustang, interceptor, 4 Studebaker's and a bunch of other stuff he is trying to unload.

This is my distributor cap, the rotor is pointed at number 1, I am having trouble locating the ignition module to remove the plug and still haven't found any markings on the crank pulley.

Last edited by Xmba1991x; 08-22-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:30 PM

If you look at the pix you posted,, between the thermostat housing and the dist, under the red plug, that is the ign module.

If you found the pointer on the timing chain cover , the marks on the pulley should be in that general area as you rotate the engine.
Be aware if the TDC mark aligns with the pointer it could be on the compression stroke for #1 or # 6.
That is why you have to remove the plug to be sure #1 is ready to fire.

Quick Reply: 1988 E150 Camper