Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1993 Econoline 150 Rear Door Latches

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 10:52 PM
Question 1993 Econoline 150 Rear Door Latches

OK, this van is about to make me pull my hair out. All the rear door latch cables were broken (unattached one end) when I got the van. All the cable ends were sticking out from the door panels. The doors would all open by pulling on the cable. Eventually the cables came loose on the other end. I managed to get one of the rear side door cables attached to the inside handle with a zip tie that seems to work pretty well. I just can't figure out how to attach the outside handle cable. Is there a good diagram for these cables? Also the very back doors did the same thing. I attempted to try and repair it and while I was inside getting a tool my neighbors kid closed the doors. Now I can't get them open at all. I really need the doors operational and just can't figure out how to get the doors open to work on them and get the cables reconnected to at least the inside handles. Any help, pictures or diagrams would be greatly appreciated. There also seems to be a debate concerning the metal replacement parts for the cables. Some say they work great and others say they don't. I just don't know how to proceed and desperately need help.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:26 AM

One way you might look at it is, they worked this long , and installing same should provide similar results. By the time you need to replace them again ,you probably won't have the vehicle.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:12 PM

Sorry I can't help with your door trouble. I am having similar trouble with 2004 econoline xlt extended window van 350, gasoline. (Approx 55k miles) LEFT rear cargo door latch froze and could not open. I forced it. Now its broken. I have the repair manual and have searched youtube. No info on repairing LEFT door latch. Evidently no one else has this trouble. ... My van is my HONEY and I really take care of it. I do most repair, hardly ever in a shop. ANY HELP APPRECIATED.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:05 AM
Exclamation metal replacements parts

Originally Posted by FordsForever71
There also seems to be a debate concerning the metal replacement parts for the cables. Some say they work great and others say they don't. I just don't know how to proceed and desperately need help.

I am here to say that the metal replacements parts worked GREAT for our install.

We had a '97 ford conversion van with worn out plastic ends for all of our door latches.
We cut/broke off the brittle plastic and replaced with the metal, they will definitely outlast us and the next buyer for sure.

https://amzn.to/3pg1abO

Cheers and best of luck,

Gavin

Old 06-08-2021, 11:17 PM

I have a 94, the guy I bought it from removed all the hardware that lets you unlock the doors with a key on the side and back doors. I can't find replacement parts anywhere. Luckily it has electric door locks so I can open them from the front, but it is a pain not being able to unlock them with a key. The rear one of the two side doors won't open at all.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:25 PM

SCANT --
I am having a hard time with my handles and locks...... I just posted this today
Any ideas???

2006 E350 XL Van door handles and locksI have 2 of these vans and handles and locks are broken. Why would the ignition key not work on opening the doors. Van A the key works on drivers door but handle is broken.. Only working handle is side door and the key won't open it. So I can not get into Van A. Van B, key only works on passenger door and the back door handle is broken.
What is going on here?
Do people switch out the ignition for some reason?
Or they don't get used?
What is the best approach on tackling this?
TY

Old 08-28-2021, 05:39 PM

Break out a window?

Old 08-29-2021, 02:56 PM

Hi Rusty,
Don't recall if I suggested Vintage Parts Inc
Beaver Dam, Wisc.

Did you have a chance to inquire from a dealership parts dept what years used the same parts you are missing with your vehicle?
Sometimes they will use the same parts for a series of years and you might get lucky, what do you think?

Old 08-30-2021, 02:47 PM

Thanks, I will try vintage parts
Their site is a nightmare to negotiate

Last edited by Rusty Baker; 08-30-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 05:13 AM

You won't be able to deal with all issues without a locksmith or electrician.