Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1994 E 150, side doors

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 06:45 PM
Default Panels

The panels pry off. Use a large screwdriver or go get a panel removal tool. Inside the door is a linkage mechanism. Something is frozen or broken. All of the parts are available. You’ll have to determine which ones are seized or broken

Old 10-17-2019, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by xdgt03
The panels pry off. Use a large screwdriver or go get a panel removal tool. Inside the door is a linkage mechanism. Something is frozen or broken. All of the parts are available. You’ll have to determine which ones are seized or broken
Need a diagram, Cannot find one. No one seems to know how it is supposed to work.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:51 PM

Still can't get it open. The cable is broke. Can't figure out exactly how to release the latch. Tried prying with a screwdriver, did not work. Does the latch go sideways or lift up? Can't get it to do either. Can't really get where you can see down inside the door.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:11 PM

Never did get the door open.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:38 PM

Come on Rusty, you can do this !

If you were able to get the covering so it either came off or you can see inside the door. You have the inside release handle that has to connect to something .
If you pull on the inside handle which way does the inside part move , up, down, left or right? Now you know what ever is hanging down in there or appears to be connected to the latch has to move in that same direction on order to release the latch . The key lock tumbler needs to be in the unlock position. You might need to use a flashlite and small mirror to see in there, but you can do this. Just shine the light on the mirror and it will light up what you see.Once you find the dangling part, now all you need to do is fish it up (piece of coat hanger) to where you can grab it and move it in the direction the interior release handle would move it and it should cause the latch to release.
If you take your time and try to make yourself as comfortable as possible working in that crouched position you should be able to make some headway, what about givin it a shot ? If you are unable to contort yourself to do this , get some kid and ask him to try it. All you would have to do if he agrees, is to buy him a expensive video game , no problem right lol.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:22 PM

There is a broken cable fastened to a piece in the bottom of the door. I have pulled it every direction possible and nothing moves...If I just knew which way it was supposed to move, I might get it open.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:20 PM

Even with a light and mirror I cannot tell which way the latch is supposed to move. And I can't get it to move any direction prying on it or pulling on the cable. There has to be someone on here who has a similar one and can tell me which way it moves.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:09 PM

Hi Rusty,
When you move the inside handle to open the door can you tell the following?
Is anything hanging off that inside the handle part that might look like the other end of that cable?
When you move the handle to open the door can you see which way the inside end moves?
Are we sure the lock has been unlocked with the key?
When you feel you have moved that broken piece of cable, did you try pushing out the door at the same time?
The cable is supposed to be pulled UP.
As long as the lock cylinder is unlocked when you pull the cable UP , it should unlock the latch. Push the door out at the same time.

You never told us if the door has power door locks , does it?

Old 01-10-2020, 10:32 PM

Yes it has power door locks. The previous owner removed the hardware so it cannot be unlocked with a key. Only the front doors unlock with a key. Then you have to use the power locks to unlock the back doors and the front side door. I have been looking for the hardware, but have not found any. I have pulled up on the cable and pushed on the door with no luck.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:16 AM

I would be more than reasonably sure you are attempting to open a locked door. Lets see what we can do.

I will add to this as I accumulate more info.
There are 2 fuses that feed power to the electronic door lock system,
one is a 60 amp fuse and the other is a 15 amp fuse. Can you check all the fuss and make sure they are all good ?
There should be a remote control FOB to operate the locks and if they don't operate what about the driver's door switch? You should be able to operate those locking mechanisms from the driver's door switch. Do they respond? If not ,you know to start with confirming the fuses are good.
Maybe , we finally are getting warm here. If you confirm the lock in that pass side door is working , make sure all locks have been placed in the open position and then pull the cable up, the door latch should release and unlock. Let us know what you find, thanks.

Last edited by hanky; 01-11-2020 at 03:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 1994 E 150, side doors