Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

2002 E350 super duty 5.4l heater line parts help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 09:30 PM
Red face 2002 E350 super duty 5.4l heater line parts help

Hello,
I am new here but I have been slowly building my camping van/daily driver. It is an 2002 Ford E350 Super Duty 15 passenger. It has the 5.4 liter motor in it. It has always been very reliable for me but lately I am having some heating issues. First there was a small leak in a very complex hose assembly that runs from the heater core lines to tee lines just above the passenger side head and out to the rear of the engine. The tee hard line area crimps were where it was leaking. I tried to fine a part number for the mess of quick disconnect hoses and metal tee fittings assembly but found nothing. My brother said I should just cut out the tee parts and install plastic heater line fittings so we did that hoping it would fix the problem. Well the leaks there stopped. Then this week I had it nearly overheat on me and I found that one of the quick disconnect fittings at the heater core had broken and made a stream of hot coolant squirting all over the engine bay. I had to get it running again so I bought one of those quick connect to hose barb fittings and got it running again. Tonight after I got home I found that the hose going from one of the heater core lines to the first tee fitting split and again sprayed coolant all over the engine bay. This after I just put nearly 50 bucks in coolant and parts into it... GAAhhhh Anyway, what I NEED to do is figure out what you call this elaborate hose assembly that runs from the heater core inlets to the back of the engine bay. It has the two quick disconnect lines on it and the metal tee fittings just over the passenger side front of the head/engine area and seems to run to the back of the engine bay. I have tried every search combination of heater core hose I can think of and never found a photo of it anywhere. My van has the rear heat and AC lines so I think it runs back there to join into that system, Anyone have any idea what the hell this assembly is called? I have looked several times on every website I could think of to find this and had no luck. Rockauto has a bunch of different hoses but none have the dual quick connects and the metal tees inline like this does... Anyone here have an idea? I would LOVE to get this fixed before I wind up blowing a head gasket or something. Thanks in advance. Oh and nice to meet you all!

Pete

Old 03-31-2023, 04:20 AM

Something you might consider,
Many folks are reluctant to go to a dealership parts dept because they most times charge more. When you look at the time lost and aggravation you will probably come out ahead purchasing there. You also should get the right parts the first time. They will always require your VIN, and with that they pull up all the info as to how your vehicle was built. Many times you can obtain the correct info with just a phone call. On line purchases can be cheaper, but when you factor in returning the wrong parts and time lost low price is not everything.
If you are most times doing a lot of your own work , they get to know you and can be really helpful.
Regarding the hoses and related parts, they can pull up a picture of the entire set up and you , if there you can see EXACTLY what you want. Think about it..

Old 02-27-2024, 12:27 PM

I am having a similar problem with my 1996 E-350 Club Wagon 5.8L .

I think my part is similar but perhaps not exactly the same. Mine mounts under the cowl at the base of the windshield. it is basically two parallel brass-colored (yellow cad, perhaps) tubes, run parallel to each other, with a pair of brazed-on braces to hold the two pipes together in a single assembly. There are 6 fittings, each tube having 3 - One side has water inlet from engine, then water out to the front heater core (on passenger end of assembly), and another water out to the rear heater core (driver side of assembly). The other tube is nearly identical, with the return to the engine, plus water in/return from the two heater cores. Some of the connections are hose+clamp, some are Ford factory quick-disconnects.

I started another thread ( https://www.fordforum.com/forum/show...7&goto=newpost ) before i knew about this one and a helpful forum member posted a collection of diagrams with part numbers. There is one diagram that does show my part, but the associated part number is partial (and wrong :-( ).

After coming up empty on the 'net, I spent a half hour on the phone with an eager young parts guy at a local Ford dealer. He came up with several candidate part numbers, but when I looked them (at parts.ford.com ), they were never the right thing.

Functionally, each tube is simply a long non-symmetrical Tee , and the pair is structurally connected together. I already hatehatehate the quick-disconnect fittings for their fragility, so I'm thinking that I might end up having a hose shop make up a workalike replacement for me, or else I could try to make something up myself.

If anyone has any other ideas, or if the OP solved his problem, I would be grateful for the info.

The dealer's parts diagrams do