Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

2006 e250 parasitic voltage fuse 22

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 09:30 PM
Default 2006 e250 parasitic voltage fuse 22

I have a 2006 e250 that i believe is draining my battery.Battery is only a couple months old. parts house checked it and said it just needed a good charge. ive traced amp draw to fuse 22 located at fuse block next to drivers feet. amp draw is .0662 when i pull fuse 22 its drops to ,0020 .their are two relays that are located to the left of the engine mounted on a metal support next to the dog house cover .they are room for four relays but only two are being used .they are gray in color. are they instrument cluster relays. i thought of changing but cannt find any information. also do they just pull out of their base, their also is a plastic cover that snaps over these two relays. right now i just have fuse 22 pulled will put back in when i operate van . anyway thank for any help given hope ive described location of relays

Old 04-21-2020, 07:30 AM

If it will start and run with the fuse removed, see what does not work. That will give you a starting point.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:44 AM

gauges on dash

Old 04-22-2020, 07:27 AM

I am an E-250 owner. 2011. Wonder if the model year and electrical system is similar to the 2006. Phantom battery drain. Have not yet done diagnostics. Believe however that it is in a circuit with interior lights on it. New 650 amp battery 2 months ago has died overnight three times since then.

Doug

Old 04-22-2020, 10:18 AM

when you do start checking start with fuse 22 its a 15 amp. i learned on you tube how to set the meter up. ive used the fluke 87 for 20 years and never knew you could check amp draw that way. i always used the clamp attachment.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:17 PM

As a reminder,
there is a pitfall when pulling fuses to locate a parasitic drain. With today's vehicles , for instance, if a parasitic drain is caused by a module not going into sleep mode which can take 45 minutes after the key is turned off. Removing and installing the fuse allows the system to reset and the drain is gone
There could be a couple reasons, one is a malfunctioning module in the vehicle's network. Another reason could be a module in the network is being activated by an external source such as a key fob being too close to the vehicle . The system attempts to get the vehicle ready for the driver to start it and drive off. . Just keeping the vehicle ready for starting puts a drain on the battery by keeping the modules awake.. This problem is more common than most vehicle owners realize. Some systems can detect the FOB in the area further than we thought. So if possible ,it could be worth a try to keep the FOB no place near the vehicle.

Sometimes this helps,
If you find a drain that exceeds 50 milliamps approx. (varies by vehicle) and goes away when you remove the fuse, look in the owner's manual to see just what that fuse protects and that will list what functions/system you might start checking out.

Last edited by hanky; 04-22-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:46 PM
Default No key fob....

So my model E250 does not have a key fob based security/door lock system. Once the wind chill gets out of the mid 20's (it's late April, right?) I will noodle around and see what the drain is on the battery. Is there another thread or two in this forum that addresses this problem in later model Vans and Trucks? I sense this is not a unique problem....

Old 04-22-2020, 05:33 PM

mine neither has a key fob. just a standard key. anyone know what i should see as far as amps goes neg disconnected and leads to meter in series with battery terminal with nothing on in van i think mine read .0662 when i pull fuse 22 i think it fell to .0022

Old 04-22-2020, 07:12 PM

I believe your vehicle is a 2011. If that is correct , it has MANY modules. It has a body computer and a powertrain computer and a security system with most likely a coded key.
It may not look like it is coded , but rest assured it is ! If you doubt this , just go get a regular key made that is not programmed and try to see if it will start your vehicle.
Some unprogrammed keys will get the starter to operate, but the engine will never start OR the starter will not work at all.

Ford started installing security systems as far back as 2000 in certain models. Later years different models had factory systems installed
Most folks don't bother to look in the owner's manual. but there are loads of info in there.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:16 PM

Look in the "Specifications section" , of your owner's manual and there you will find a diagram of the fuse and relay panels and a description of what each fuse protects.
Once that is known , it may be possible to suggest some checks you might be able to do.

Quick Reply: 2006 e250 parasitic voltage fuse 22