Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

2011 Spark plug advice, first timer

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 08:16 PM
Default 2011 Spark plug advice, first timer

2011 E-150 4.6 190k runs great
I bought the van with 111k and paperwork said the plugs and boots were changed at 104k so roughly 86k on existing plugs and boots...though I do have 1 aspect ratio tire bigger than stock.

I do a big trip each year to Utah and remote places. Want to make sure she's tip top

Questions
1-should I replace the plugs and boots?
2-which plug should I use?
3- which boots should I use?
4-what should I torque plugs to? (I have read stock torque is not adequate and leads to plugs coming lose and possibly ejecting... don't want that!)
5-should I worry about the coil packs or just test for resistance/ohms?
6- how do I test the coil packs?

Any other advice?

Thanks for any input, genuinely appreciated!
I used to be more active here. Great community and invaluable advice.

Old 01-27-2024, 04:31 PM

After some reading I will use motorcraft spark plugs, replace the boots with motorcraft, and likely just leave the ignition coils alone unless one is cracked or something.

I will torque the spark plugs to 20 - 24 ft lb unless that is a bad idea?

Old 01-27-2024, 06:33 PM

So far , sounds good.

Not knowing where you will start from on your way out, I would hope you would bring some tools with you. An extra coil would be nice to have out in the middle of nowhere if you needed it. As the old saying goes, if you have it , you probably won't need it, but if you didn't have it , well you get my point. Some extra coolant, motor oil and whatever you might need depending on the anticipated weather. Jumper cables could get you going especially if you needed a jump, found someone willing to help and neither of you had cables. Again a lot depends on how far away from civilization you plan to go. There are some folks that go only with the clothes on their back and make it just fine. What do you think ?

Old 01-28-2024, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
So far , sounds good.

Not knowing where you will start from on your way out, I would hope you would bring some tools with you. An extra coil would be nice to have out in the middle of nowhere if you needed it. As the old saying goes, if you have it , you probably won't need it, but if you didn't have it , well you get my point. Some extra coolant, motor oil and whatever you might need depending on the anticipated weather. Jumper cables could get you going especially if you needed a jump, found someone willing to help and neither of you had cables. Again a lot depends on how far away from civilization you plan to go. There are some folks that go only with the clothes on their back and make it just fine. What do you think ?
Yeah, thanks.
I carry a somewhat comprehensive tool chest with me. Jumper cables, oil, and full size AT spare tire are standard fare. I ripped my exhaust off on a trib to Bella Coola BC which is quite remote. Reattached it with bailing wire, dinty moore cans and hose clamps. Remained that way until I sold it. Gear wise I'm covered...long seasoned outdoor enthusiast.

I'll be starting from McMinnville Oregon. Some pics from last year

Old 01-28-2024, 02:16 PM

Beautiful photos, thank you.

Reminder, hope you have the latest flat fix that is non flammable , HAPPY MOTORING !