Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

2012 Ford E-250 4.6 Replaced Injectors-started right up-now it won’t

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 10:14 AM
Default 2012 Ford E-250 4.6 Replaced Injectors-started right up-now it won’t

A few weeks ago, I noticed the smell of fuel coming from my van/driveway. I thought it was coming from underneath, but it was spewing out of an injector. Yesterday I replaced all 8 of the injectors. I got everything back together, made sure there were no leaks and started it up. I noticed some white smoke coming from the exhaust (it was prior to my repair attempt-this was slightly worse). I shut it off and looked up what that means and what I should do next. Went back out 10 minutes later and moved the van out of the garage, into the driveway, I was going to let it sit for about 10 more minutes then drive it. Then decided until I was sure everything was ok, I probably shouldn’t risk driving it. I’m in a rural area and don’t want to get stranded. Now, it won’t start. It just makes a “clank” Sound when I try to turn it over. Battery isn’t dead. It started up 2-3 times-now nothing. Idk what to do. Any advice would be extremely appreciated!

Last edited by Shannabanana; 03-20-2024 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:10 AM

It would help if we knew if the cyls were flooded with fuel.and one way to determine that is by removing a few spark plugs. If they are really soaked it could suggest the replacement injectors are leaking or spark was not getting to the plugs to ignite the mixture.

There may be something causing the injectors to stay open, we don't know at this time. If even only one cyl was full of fuel, it is enough to cause a "Hydro lock" and prevent the engine from turning over in order to start.

I suspect the leaking injector may have been a result and the cause was not really found..
One of the things that can happen is , if a plug or injector or coil was malfunctioning it could send a spike up to the PCM and ruin it.
This may be something that you don't have the equip to diagnose.

Old 03-20-2024, 02:55 PM

Thanks for replying. I just removed 2 of the of the coils and spark plugs. The plugs are wet- fuel. I just paid to have the coils and plugs replaced a few months ago and decided I’d try to do the injectors myself. I’m so frustrated.

Old 03-20-2024, 04:29 PM

Don't feel badly, we all have been there and more than ONCE !

Might be a good idea to recheck all your work to make sure everything is fully connected and tight.

If it ran before, to clear a flooded engine just hold the throttle to the floor when cranking , that will prevent any more fuel from going into the cyls and clear the flood condition

Just don't forget to back off the throttle once it starts !..