Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

5.8 i poor performance and high fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 02:55 AM
Default 5.8 i poor performance and high fuel consumption

Hi Gang,
I've had my 1988 e150 for near on 10 years now but in the last few years It seems to be down on power, high fuel consumption. Also maybe a high idle. I'm not a mechanic but I have given it a minor tune, plugs etc.
My question to you all is can I get a scan tool to see what is going on with my van or any tips on getting the above sorted.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated on where to start.
Cheers
Wayne

Old 12-07-2021, 05:15 AM

I have had a few do this with a malfunctioning MAP sensor.

Old 12-25-2021, 04:53 PM

sorry @hanky for the late reply, but thank you for your response. Cheers and hope you had a merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2021, 05:23 PM

There is a Santa Claus !

Thexton Mfg makes a sweet little tool costs under $24.00 that will help you diagnose your Ford vehicle. Tool part # 378

I just searched for it again,
You might try ,Tool source.com
phone : 1-888-220-8350
It comes with directions and if you decide to obtain one, I would be more than happy to offer some assistance on what you can get done with it.
Your vehicle has programmed in it's computer many things a lot of folks don't even know are there and this tool will help you determine what is malfunctioning and will do Dynamic testing . (You do 1 or two steps and it will automatically do running tests and tell you what is malfunctioning. You will love it)
I try to be available on this forum to offer what little assistance I can. Let me know when you get it , OK?

Old 12-26-2021, 03:21 PM

Wow thank you Hanky, I'm in New Zealand, it may take a little while to get here. Where does it plug into? Will keep you posted on when it arrives, Cheers

Old 12-26-2021, 06:02 PM

Unfortunately they do not send to New Zealand by the looks of things

Old 12-27-2021, 06:51 AM

To answer your question,

It plugs into the diagnostic plug in the engine compartment.
Plug may have a plastic cover on it stating , Diagnostic Plug.

Old 12-29-2021, 06:48 AM

I have one of those old code readers for old Fords which I occasionally use on my 87"s.. It doesn't provide near as much information as the OBD 2 scan tools used on 96 and later vehicles.. The connector you are looking for is sort of trianguluar in shape and there should be a separate single conductor connector along with it which both will also plug into your reader.They should be located on the driver's side in the engine compartment along the fender.. If you research, codes can be read using a paper clip on the triangular connector and noting the flashes of the CEL.

I would diagnose and not guess on part replacing. Verify that you have 30-45 psi of fuel pressure present at the shrader valve on the fuel rail. Some quick checks you can do without spending anything. Pull the vacuum line off your fuel pressure regulator for the presense of gasoline. Replace it if you smell or see gas there. Make sure your ignition system components are in good shape.Verify there are no vacuum leaks as that can raise the idle speed and can make the computer send more gas out of the injectors to compensate for the increase of air into the mix.

Last edited by raski; 12-29-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 04:56 PM

Hi Raski
Very much appreciate your input. I have a few days off down here and will have a look around and check it out
Cheers
Wayne

Old 01-01-2022, 08:43 PM
Default Thexton tool?

Just took a look on toolsourse.com and Thexton. Couldnt find it. Any more info to help locate? Seems like a handy tool to keep old Fords going ...

Nat

Originally Posted by hanky
There is a Santa Claus !

Thexton Mfg makes a sweet little tool costs under $24.00 that will help you diagnose your Ford vehicle. Tool part # 378

I just searched for it again,
You might try ,Tool source.com
phone : 1-888-220-8350
It comes with directions and if you decide to obtain one, I would be more than happy to offer some assistance on what you can get done with it.
Your vehicle has programmed in it's computer many things a lot of folks don't even know are there and this tool will help you determine what is malfunctioning and will do Dynamic testing . (You do 1 or two steps and it will automatically do running tests and tell you what is malfunctioning. You will love it)
I try to be available on this forum to offer what little assistance I can. Let me know when you get it , OK?

Quick Reply: 5.8 i poor performance and high fuel consumption