Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Desperate for alternator help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Default Desperate for alternator help

I am attempting to remove the alternator from my 89 E-250, and I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible! The alternator itself has been unbolted, unconnected, etc., but there seems to be no way to get it out of there. The battery shelf blocks it one side, and whatever that bracket thing is (yes, I'm stupid) blocks it on the other side! Neither of those parts seem easily removable, as the battery shelf is bolted behind the radiator, and the ??? is connected to a host of other things.

Am I missing something completely obvious here? I have the Haynes manual and there's nothing in it about any extra stuff that needs removal to get to the alternator.

I am now to the point where I am losing my mind over this, someone please help me!

Name:  alternator006.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  84.7 KB

Old 03-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Desperate for alternator help

Take it out from the bottom of the truck.. Move/remove the belt tension arm, and tip it on its nose or case backend down for clearance...

Old 03-13-2007, 11:14 PM

There doesn't seem to be room on the bottom of the van, but when its daylight again I'll give it a shot.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:19 AM

I don't see why you can't pull it up. Manhandle it boy! Push the hoses on the left outta' the way and push it back a little as you lift. Maybe turn it sideways and lift. Just be careful not to touch the radiator (center core and fins). When you get that done (or maybe before)- tape over the electrical wires with electrical tape (looks like yellow and orange) so they don't short out, cause a fire and burn the whole deal to the ground.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:26 AM

If you have suspension under the bottom it may not be easy to drop out there. Are you sure all the wires are unplugged? Maybe you could compare this to a game of Tetris? That might help. The ??? is the alternator bracket. I also notice a lot of rust in the alternator. You may want to check that those heater hoses (hanging just over top) aren't dripping antifreeze on the alternator (by means of loose clamps, etc.). Otherwise your new one will be shot too soon.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:23 PM

Trust me on this, I've tried pulling, pushing, turning, twisting, and anything else you can think of to get the damn thing out of there. Any way I try to pull it out, there is something blocking it.

I've already tried what you said about the hoses, there still wasn't enough room. I know it might look like there is from the picture. It has the same optical illusion when I stare under the hood!

This has now gone way beyond driving me crazy!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:24 PM

Oh, one more thing...I don't suppose there's any chance the alternator bracket is easy to remove, is there?

Old 03-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

When I read your first post I thought it was an 'F' series.. I believe the battery tray needs to be pulled on the E.. How much extra clearance does it need to come by the battery tray?

Old 03-15-2007, 12:01 AM

If your battery tray is one of your biggest contenders - take a big pliers and bend the corner up - bend it back after you get the new one in (or cut off any unnecessary part with a tin snips). The engine bracket does unbolt - but some bracket bolts on some models drain the antifreeze when removed. You could try andget it oout (careful not to touch the radiator). Just watch that antifreeze doesn't start dripping as you pulleach bolt. By the way - it's good to check that nothing is hooking onto the alternator case as you pull it up. I see theelectrical wiringkind of in the area too.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:12 PM

Well now the new alternator is in but its leaking radiator fluid! AHHHHHHH!!!!

Quick Reply: Desperate for alternator help