Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

E-150 Not Shifting Past Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 06:20 PM
Default E-150 Not Shifting Past Neutral

First post on this site, please go easy on me. lol
So a farmer friend called me about his 2002 E-150. Seems he lost the key and wanted my help getting it running by any means necessary. He and a farm hand beat the crap out of the ignition trying to remove the key cylinder. You can't make this stuff up! I dropped the linear actuated ignition switch from below the column, so staring is now taken care of. I finished off what was left of the ignition so that I could get to the nylon ignition actuator and push it forward enough to unlock the steering wheel. I removed what I believe to be the only shift interlock device, the solenoid on the column, but the transmission will only shift into reverse and neutral. It feels bound up trying to get it into drive, but I am not seeing anything binding. That said, there is not much visibility in their even with the column dropped. He did mention that he dragged the van to its current location with a tractor. He said he lifted the back end by the bumper for the drag as much as he dared, but he definitely had the rear wheel on the ground while dragging it backwards 100yds...probably did not help...

I'd crawl under it, but it is currently on a rain soaked muddy road safely above the flood line, so back home to do more research. I'm coming up empty...

Any of you gents have any ideas for me?

Thanks in advance,

Mike R

Last edited by MR5X5; 01-13-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:41 AM

You could have more problems than you can imagine.

The appearance part is only part of the problem.
You might want to become a little familiar with the security system on that vehicle and then consider how much it could cost to get the butcher work straightened out.

To begin with, you will need to have someone come out to reprogram the computer plus make some extra keys and this will not be cheap.Another option would be to have it towed to a shop or locksmith that is capable of doing programming .
Even if you got it for free, it will cost a bundle to get all the possible damage corrected. Perfect case of , they know not what they do !
I would suggest accumulating some estimates to have this looked at and be sitting down when you get them. This is only my opinion, but ,get a few more opinions.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:41 AM

Thanks. The columns is destroyed where the lock cylinder is so new keys won't be possible. As strictly a farm vehicle it just needs to operate. Is there more you can elaborate on regrading the need to reprogram. Since the key actuated bits, mainly the linear slide rack in side the ignition, are pushed/actuated forward, it would seem the van for all practical purposes would not know the difference. I did not try reinstalling the ignition shift lockout solenoid once I got the key actuator rack moved forward enough to unlock the steering wheel. Do you know if there is more to that interlock than simply releasing the shifter, i.e. is it required in any way after the shifter is unlocked to enable the operation of the shifter?

Thanks. Not wanting to push back in your previous thoughts, but the next stop for the van will be the scrap heap if it can't be rigged into running.

-Mike R

I've done a quick read on the PATS anit-theft system. Interesting. I suppose it could be part of the problem, but I am thinking not as I am able to start the engine and drive, at least in reverse. My understanding of the PATS system is that it disables the vehicle from starting at the PCU level. That is clearly not the case with what I am wrestling with. I did not notice any alarm status indicators on the dash, but I wasn't really looking... Will check that when I can.

I think next I need to get underneath and see if I can manually shift the tranny. So much for a 15 minute helping hand job....

Last edited by MR5X5; 01-14-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:34 AM

They must have done quite a job so you could get it to start.

The shift cable goes down to the trans and is adjustable, but we have no idea what they could have done there.

What you might try is to disconnect the cable from the trans and see if you can move the lever on the trans through the shift positions from Park to reverse,,to neutral, to drive and low.

If you can do that it may have only been forced, we don't know at this time.
You could start with the shift lever on the column placed in the neutral position and place the lever on the trans in the neutral position and secure/ make the cable connection, there..
If it was in park at the time it was dragged, they might have broken the parking pawl in the trans.

Old 01-14-2023, 11:48 AM

Thanks again.

"If it was in park at the time it was dragged, they might have broken the parking pawl in the trans."

It was. I'm not much of a transmission guy, but it is this sort of thought that concerns me. Seems if the pawl was broken I would be able to roll in park, which i can't....Maybe something else is broken in there...

I'm with you on the rest of your suggestions. Just need to get him to move into the barn and find the time to get back to it. Outdoors in the rain up here in the PNW is no place to be working on vehicles....

Probably next week some time. I'll check back after I get another look at it.

Last edited by MR5X5; 01-14-2023 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:10 PM

I agree with your reasoning of since it will not move in park, the pawl is probably OK.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:05 PM

Done and done. Disconnected the shift linkage from the tranny. Tranny shifts fine. That isolated the issue to somewhere between the shifter and the end of the cable. Removed the shift tube and noted the piece pictured. Looked as if the square end was protruding up into a slot on the shift tube. I removed the piece and the shifter operates as expected, albeit a little sloppy. Not sure what the pieces is? Perhaps another part of the ignition/shifter interlock??
So it's all put back together and suitable for transport around the farm. So, unless someone points out that removing that part is super bad idea, I'm calling this done and done.

Hanky - Thank you, much appreciate collaboration. You helped me check some boxes and get to a workable solution. Cheers!

-Mike R