Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

E150 Econoline 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 09:58 PM
Default E150 Econoline 4.2

First post here so heres my background. Im a fix it myself type guy that still has a lot to learn so certain subjects i might have to ask questions to understand. good news is im very mechanicly inclined and I have all kids of tools and have fixed my own vehicles since i was sixteen and im 25 now so i have a decent ammountof experience. So now to the nitty gritty. I have a 01 e150 econoline 4.2 thats having some issues. It runs real rough and stalls at idle a lot of the time. Its also jerks really hard while driving sometimes and bogs down but a good hammer on the gas peddle will straighten it out. Things ive changed fuel filter maf sensor, iac valve, throttle postion sensor, fuel pump relay, egr valve, pcv grommet pcv is still good, spark plugs, wires, coil pack, and i just did a smoke machine vacuum test and repaired several vacuum leaks mostly in the pcv system. General condition of engine- spark plugs had black gunk on them when i changed them figured it might be due to pcv grommet being completely missing? oil leaks around valve cover and oil pan, transmission oil is very clean, no water in oil or vice versa, no bubbles in water resivoir. Im stumped. my next 2 things to investigate are fuel pump/ Pressue or injectors also restest with smoke machine tomorrow now that all the leaks have been fixed. I have a Ancel V6 code reader coming in tomorrow to try and get some live data on it. any input or suggestions welcome. If youve read this far thank you very much I appreciate your time and welcome your input.

Old 06-14-2022, 12:26 PM

When it is idling,
Does it just shut right off like when you turn off the key OR does it start slowing down and eventually just stall?

If it just plain shuts off, I would suspect an ignition system problem
If ti slows down and eventually stalls , would suspect a fuel system problem.

The plugs being black and full of crud could be coming from an over fuel condition. How many miles on the odometer?
Getting any kind of smoke from the exhaust?

Old 06-14-2022, 01:55 PM

Since the plugs are black and appears to be running rich, I would check for a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Pull its vacuum line off and key cycle a few times. If fuel squirts out the vacuum nipple, replace the fuel regulator. They have been known to have a ruptured diaphram and will send raw fuel into its vacuum line to be burned and cause a very rich condition. Replace it only if fuel comes out.
If that checks out, use a scan tool to display live data. Scan for codes and pay special attention to long term fuel trims which should be +/- 5 of zero.. Highly negative indicates a rich condition while highly positive means a lean condition. Obviously, you checked your air filter.

Last edited by raski; 06-14-2022 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:53 PM

205k on the odo. It idles high then low high then low (without the ait conditioner on) and when it goes low it dies some times or when switching from park to in gear. The air filter is brand new forgot to list that. I will check the fuel pressure regulator tonight to see. Any idea where youd find the fuel pressue regulator on that motor?

Old 06-14-2022, 03:17 PM

It will be on the fuel rail. Looks like this.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:54 PM

We need to be careful here because Ford came out with returnless fuel systems around 1999 and there is no pressure regulator on the fuel rail.

Old 06-15-2022, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
We need to be careful here because Ford came out with returnless fuel systems around 1999 and there is no pressure regulator on the fuel rail.
Would you care to be more specific? Are you saying one doesn't exist? Not on the fuel rail, somewhere else? I don't believe your statement applies to his engine. It's on the fuel rail on my 2003.They are available through a major parts reseller for model years 1999-2003.They do exist.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...regulator,6124

Last edited by raski; 06-15-2022 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:35 AM

On the later years the fuel pressure regulator may be on the tank module inside the fuel tank.

Some may be on the outside of the fuel tank module. There are many variations. Some may look like a fuel pressure regulator , but could be a dampener to muffle sounds and vibrations.
Later years utilized controlling fuel pump operation to control pressure and provided less wear to the fuel pump itself.

Returnless systems were designed to reduce fuel temps at the tank to prevent hot soak problems and evaporative emissions.

The main thing is to be aware of the many variations Ford came out with and when./

Old 06-15-2022, 07:09 AM

The main thing here is what applies the the 01 E150 which the OP has, not what "might" apply to something else. Let him look for himself to see if his has a FPR on the rail and we go from there.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:23 AM

Had to work late didnt get to check much yesterday. I pulled codes had camshaft position sensor and lean bank 1 and 2. if i get off in time im gone hunt down the fuel pressure regulator. The problem is getting worse by the day starting to jerk more frequently and die more.

Last edited by CTP2022; 06-15-2022 at 07:29 AM. Reason: adding to response.

Quick Reply: E150 Econoline 4.2