Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

E250 4.2l. V6 "no gears"

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 08:22 AM
Default E250 4.2l. V6 "no gears"

I just rebuilt the motor. When I put the motor back in the van, I now have no gears. No reverse, no drive , no gears at all. I was thinking hopefully a vacuum leak or a wire that was not connected. Any and all help with this will be gratefully appreciated.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:26 AM

Hi Ben,

Since we need to start somewhere,
Was the trans removed with the engine?
If not, was the torque converter bolted back onto the flywheel?
Did you recheck your work to make sure you didn't miss plugging in a plug somewhere?
Since we have no idea what was disconnected or removed, did the trans lose any fluid?

Old 06-20-2022, 10:12 AM

The trans was not removed. The flywheel was bolted back to the torch converter. I checked and re-checked all connections. The fluid that was lost.,Very little from the dipstick removal, was replaced. I checked the fuses . None were blown. So yeah I am at my wits end. Almost. Lol.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:12 PM

If there was no problem with the trans before the engine was removed, and all wires and plugs stayed in their normal position, it has to be something you disconnected and overlooked on assembly. Did any wiring get pinched between the engine and trans when assembling?

Old 06-21-2022, 04:03 AM

Don't know if this is the problem, it sounds like the trans is not building pressure. Could the torque converter have become out of place with the oil pump gear and not creating any pressure at all?

Old 06-21-2022, 04:49 AM

I will check on all the connections with the wiring again. The torque converter was never removed. That is not to say that it has not become disconnected from the oil pump leaving it with no pressure. If that is the case how would I check to make sure. I can and will remove the starter and visibly check to make sure that the torque coverter is bolted on properly. However I am not sure how to check that it is connected to the pump. Will I have to drop the tranny.?

Old 06-21-2022, 12:23 PM

This get a little complicated.

The torque converter would have to be disconnected from the flywheel, but after that you should be able to rotate the torque converter manually. If it is right there should be little rotational resistance but still rotating the gear for the oil pump..

Old 06-21-2022, 02:01 PM

OK. I understand about disconnecting the torque converter from the flywheel. But then rotating the fly wheel is confusing me, because I marked the flywheel and the coinciding torque converter bolt, so as to reconnect them back together at the precise spot. So as not to mess up the balance and original position that the torque converter and the flywheel where in before the motor work was done.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:01 PM

I don't know whether or not you picked up on what you stated in your last post.

You are supposed to try to rotate the torque converter not the flywheel. Maybe you noticed this after you posted your question.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:47 PM

I was referring to the original orientation between the flywheel and the torque converter. If / when I rotate the torque converter it will put the torque converter in a different location than it had originally started in relationships with the flywheel. I guess it really won't matter as long as we gain all gears back. Thank you for all of the help also.

Quick Reply: E250 4.2l. V6 "no gears"