Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

E250 Fix Up On a Shoe string ..

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 05:47 PM
Default E250 Fix Up On a Shoe string ..

So last week I picked up a very used
E250 5.4
it needed a few items for an inspection
snd the owner had moved away in the last few months and it was sitting at his moms.Times must have been tight as he borrowed against the title so we also had to take a ride down to his local shark infested Title max office.
after paying off the 400 owed he ended up with just 350 knocked down from a total of one thousand.
there were some check codes and the cat I could hear rattling beneath the drivers seat, it was full
of junk and selector arm for the trans was out of sync. The motor sounded really smooth though even at 292k
We’ll see if I have a money pit but I’m pretty confident there’s life in the ole girl yet!

Old 02-18-2020, 08:04 AM

My 74 E 150 has 230,000 and still runs great. I just wish the previous owner had not "worked" on it.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:44 PM

Ohhh, they are out there !

We call them TIDs. "Technician" induced difficulties !

Old 02-25-2020, 08:17 PM

I spent a good day just cleaning out the trash left in the van,PO was a decorator and left dozens of paint tins floor sheets
paint treatments and small tools..
mind bending what some people are like ..

Old 02-25-2020, 08:24 PM

All the locks were inop except the front two, I can say with certainty that unless you make sure the latch is unlocked you’ll never get the catch to open as stated many times on this forum.
i bought some alloy ferrules and did mange to get the back doors opening ok. Unfortunately PO had let the door seals go at the back and side doors and there is rust on the floor in both areas .. a real shame.we got the ole girl up on the lift and it is in great shape underneath considering the age and mileage. At$750 it’ll make A very practical van once I invest some new parts and some TLC. The motor runs really smooth considering the treatment it’s had

Old 02-25-2020, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Rust,, meaning all the through the body?

I used to help out our local storage park. Mind blowing the monthly money people would spend to store junk, and mostly trash...

Old 02-26-2020, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Britman
All the locks were inop except the front two, I can say with certainty that unless you make sure the latch is unlocked you’ll never get the catch to open as stated many times on this forum.
i bought some alloy ferrules and did mange to get the back doors opening ok. Unfortunately PO had let the door seals go at the back and side doors and there is rust on the floor in both areas .. a real shame.we got the ole girl up on the lift and it is in great shape underneath considering the age and mileage. At$750 it’ll make A very practical van once I invest some new parts and some TLC. The motor runs really smooth considering the treatment it’s had
If you find a place to buy the door lock parts, let me know. The idiot I bought mine from removed the manual lock parts from the side and back doors. So I can only unlock them from the front with the power lock button.

Old 02-26-2020, 01:13 PM

Rusted through in a few spots yes,
mine are all manual locks and I’ve just ordered a cheap remote kit with 4 actuators.
I’m doing it really for convenience when parking at a store etc. the level of technology and price it’s amazing that a manufacturer would even have this as a so called extra,
I looked through the original specs of the van and it was $695 for the electric openers if I remember correctly.. pretty steep if you consider the MRP for the van new was 10,450 in 04

Old 03-15-2020, 03:40 PM

Britman , Today 03:28 PM

I’ve got it running pretty nice, I swapped out the inlet manifold (in it’s self not a difficult job at all, the dog box giving plenty of access at the rear.)
Whilst off I did do the valve cover gasket, plugs coil packs. Running really smooth and for 292k I think there’s plenty of life in the old girl yet 😀
I’m looking for a place to get a drivers
door rubber.. not the door itself but the opening on the body for the door..
not sure of the correct name for it
maybe some experts here can let me know 👍