Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

E350 Van Cranks, but does not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 12:35 PM
Exclamation E350 Van Cranks, but does not turn over

Hi everyone,

I have a 2011 Ford Ecoline E350 Super Duty Van, the 5.4L V8 F SOHC 16V Gasoline Rear wheel drive. The van currently cranks and wants to turn over but does not, after doing some research i have tried the below methods and they issue is still there.

1) Changed the fuel pump relay fuse ( its the large black fuse, #5 i believe in the fuse diagram in engine compartment)
2) Dropped the fuel tank, and change the entire pump
3) Checked all the other relevant fuses for fuel pump, and all look good
4) There is fuel in the tank as evidenced from removing the fuel pump

Is there anything else to check? I'm out of ideas and not sure if anyone experienced the same thing, and was able to solve it. I heard of an inertia switch for these vehicles that if triggered, would cause same issue but i looked under the driver side and cant seem to see it. Probably because I'm not sure what to exactly look for.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestion, or need anymore info. Thanks again for taking the time to read and help out, and god bless!

-Omar

Old 10-15-2022, 04:21 PM

Your first sentence makes no sense, "The van currently cranks and wants to turn over but does not". If it cranks (the actual spinning of the engine done by the starter) but does not start, you need to check fuel pressure. Saying replaced and checked fuel pump means little without an actual pressure test. Does the pump turn on? Did you check for codes? If the pump does not turn on, you will get a code set.

Other areas to test if the fuel system actually functions as it should include: test for spark(occuring at the correct time) and finally check compression which will be affected if there are timing chain issues.

Last edited by raski; 10-15-2022 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2022, 05:56 PM

Something you might have tried,
When you first turn the key on, the fuel pump should run for 1-2 seconds and this can sometimes be heard from inside the vehicle, but a better way is to have someone listen at the tank fill port. The inertia sw on E series is usually behind the passenger kick panel at the very top, you can feel the depression for the reset button and make sure it is all the way down.
At this point you either hear the pump run or you don't , we need to know before going any further.

One of the easiest ways to determine if fuel is getting to the engine is remove a spark plug and look for if it is wet or dry.
You could have perfectly good fuel pressure, but if the injectors are not injecting , the plugs will tell you that.

Before you replace any more possibly good parts, you should be able to get some free assistance here.

Old 04-17-2023, 02:47 PM

Thanks alot for more explanation on the intertia sw. I found a video that showed me where it is, and how to get to it but i coudlnt locate anything with a red clickable switch. I used this video -

I dont know if this is relevant - but the van is FLEX fuel. Please also see pics of what i see when i removed the passenger kick panel( which says on it fuel switch btw)

Old 04-17-2023, 05:26 PM

The black plastic retainer should be holding the inertia sw assy. Just put your finger on the top and you will feel the depression, push down to reset the sw.

Old 04-17-2023, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
The black plastic retainer should be holding the inertia sw assy. Just put your finger on the top and you will feel the depression, push down to reset the sw.
where do you mean by the black plastic retainer?

Old 04-18-2023, 09:16 AM

The circular push in retainer holding the grey square box with the white part sticking out the bottom.

Old 04-20-2023, 03:41 AM

Did you determine that the fuel pump is not running and there is zero fuel pressure? An inertia switch being open likely would set an error code of P0230, "fuel pump primary malfunction". It sounds like you mentioned "it wants to start". If there is an attempt by the engine to start but doesn't, don't waste your time looking for the inertia switch. If it has tripped open, you will have no power to the fuel pump, no fuel delivery at all to the engine and it will make no attempt to start while cranking.

Last edited by raski; 04-20-2023 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2023, 06:57 AM

Before you go through all the trouble of obtaining a code reader and fuel system pressure tester, do the simple things first. The quickest and simplest thing, is to insure the inertia sw has not been tripped. Easy, just push the button down.
No special equip needed to remove a spark plug and see if it is wet or dry. If it is wet , fuel is getting in there and it at this time possibly not a fuel problem.
Before going any further , we need to know if the plugs are wet or dry.
Depending on what you find will determine where we go next.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:24 PM

Had the same problem on my 2011 E-150
check the ground wire on the passenger side going from frame to body . I did all the same things fuel pump wasn’t the problem . Was 10 inches of wire . That green mesh ground wife them fits uses falls apart