Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Engine oil loss E-250

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 08:45 AM
Default Engine oil loss E-250

I changed engine oil on my E-250 V8 year 200 econoline and few weeks ago. Today when I checked it was at the lowest level. I do not see lot of oil drop under the bed when I parked it overnight but I do see a drop on the oil drain bolt every now and then. Could it be just the drain plug or something else?

Old 07-11-2020, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

How many miles on the clock?
How many miles did you travel in those few weeks?
Make sure to check the oil after either a cold or hot soak, meaning some time with the engine off to allow for oil drain back. Checking in the AM prior to startup each time may yield a more accurate level/s
A hanging drip wouldn't or shouldn't seriously effect levels in a week or two unless it continues to spot the ground. If it doesn't seem to burn oil, you might slide a catch/flat drip pan under the engine to see if it collects any significant oil. If a high mileage engine, consumption may play a larger part, but being your seeing a hanging drip, Id try and determine if its more than a hanging, or a seep condition etc. If it drips onto a porous surface, dirt, asphalt/concrete it will generally be absorbed and may not look like more of simple spotting.

Last edited by Hayapower; 07-11-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
How many miles on the clock?
How many miles did you travel in those few weeks?
Make sure to check the oil after either a cold or hot soak, meaning some time with the engine off to allow for oil drain back. Checking in the AM prior to startup each time may yield a more accurate level/s
A hanging drip wouldn't or shouldn't seriously effect levels in a week or two unless it continues to spot the ground. If it doesn't seem to burn oil, you might slide a catch/flat drip pan under the engine to see if it collects any significant oil. If a high mileage engine, consumption may play a larger part, but being your seeing a hanging drip, Id try and determine if its more than a hanging, or a seep condition etc. If it drips onto a porous surface, dirt, asphalt/concrete it will generally be absorbed and may not look like more of simple spotting.
Thanks for the detailed information. I does not drain on the ground. I only see half drop on the drain nut every time. It has total mileage of 73k and I only put lessee oil than 500 miles after oil change.

Today I added 2 quartz and re checked their level and it was gone above the max level. May be you are right, I should run the engine for few minutes , then turn it off and wait for few minutes before I check the level again. Maybe I added too much oil now.