Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

First post and already need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Default First post and already need help

I purchaseda 92 e-150 cargo vanback inoctober with 190,XXX on the 4.9l in line six. I only drove it here and therenothing to major.The end of january is when my problems started on night I went to start it and it started then cut off then wouldn'tstart again. the next few weekends tinkered with it changed the fuelpump and throttle position sensor. Got tired of wasting my weekends so decided to take it to a mechanic the problem was the computer wasfried so that was replaced and while it was there hadseveral other things done like rotor, cap, wires, plugs, head gasket, side gaskets and oil changed. When I picked it up was running great and sounded good. So I drove it and left it at my work the next day when I was leaving work had some running around to do and decided to take the van again was running and sounding great as I'm heading to the house I get on the interstate and I notice the van feels like its losing power and getting a little loud but nothing to bad I makeone more stop on way home and I feel like it getting louder. I proceed home on interstate and van losing more and more power to the point that its only going 30 mph so I get off at a exit that is close enough to the house where I can baby it home. By this time its taking a long time to get up to speed and its only doing like 25 and is real loud. SoI was told it could be thecatalytic converterclogged. So I get under the van today and notice it looks like it has two catalytic convertors I disconnect andand hollow out the one closest to the muffler and get it all buttoned up and the van doesn't sound as good as when I got it back from the mechnic so I decide to take it for a test drive its not doing what it did before when it losing power and getting load when I accelerate while trying to get it to pick up speed. I remebered that it does it after I drivingfor a little longer distant so decided to stay out a little longer.As I'm heading back the problem starts again. I was wondering is that a second catalytic convertor that is closer to the motor could that be my problem also should I use a thicker oil to stop some of the engine noise.I also have my airbag light that is flashing 5 then 2 which wasbefore all this other stuff started. Thanks to everybody in advance.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Default RE: First post and already need help

Airbag light is a self-check problem light from the computer. Likely the other converter would have been the one to gut.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:15 PM

So how do I get the airbag lightto resetor is there still a problem why that is still on. So was I right is that a second convertor do you think that will sovle my problem?

Old 04-01-2007, 10:36 PM

Sounds likely that converter is problem and light will not go out until it's fixed. But when you find the problem - try disconnecting the battery cables for a little while (clean them if you need to ) and put them back on in a couple of minutes. The computer will clear unless there's still a problem.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:54 PM

Thanks do you have a suggestion about the engine oil whats the thickiest I could use?

Old 04-01-2007, 11:27 PM

A good overall mix (not too thick or thin) is Motorcraft 10W40.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:05 AM

Thanks alot have a day off tuesday so will take it to the muffler shop that convertor that was closer to the motor looks real hard to get to. Hope this solves my problem

Old 04-02-2007, 01:15 AM

Good luck! Tell me how it goes.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:59 PM

well drop it off tonight so they can start on it in the morning I really hope thats the problem so I can move on to other problems and get this one pass me.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:30 PM

The exhaust shop says that the other catalytic is also clogged and the O2 sensor is also bad. So after he says that he will give me a 10% discount but my bill will still be $950 I decided to pick it up because I can buy the parts and weld it up at my job for a fraction of the cost. If after I check on the price for the parts if its not that big of a difference I will take it back and let them deal with it. The price is for two new cats they won't put back on the hollowed out one and O2 installed.

Quick Reply: First post and already need help