Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

First post and already need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 04:10 AM
Default RE: First post and already need help

Cat's run $60 to $120 each. O2 sensorshould be in the piping before the last convertor.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 AM

I went on advance auto website and check prices I seen they had some cat's that you can use one to replace the two and the O2 senesor was from $50-$90. hopefully I'll have time to fix the problem this weekend thanks for all your help

Old 04-04-2007, 05:05 PM

Good luck. Personally I always dread exhaust work (even though sometimes it's not so bad). The worst part is trying to find the right pipes in corresponding I.D. and O.D. sizes.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:21 PM

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...45&PTSet=A

This is the catalytic convertor I purchased today from advance auto parts it is suppose to replace both of the convertors with this one unitfrom what I read. The guy that worked at advance didn't seem sure about a few things I asked him and said I needed two of them which I didn't understand since it cost twice as much as others. He said If I was wrong I can exchange it and buy a front and back. What do you think does this one replace both.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Well today I spent about 4 hours with my friend changing the catalytic and O2 sensor. When done started it up then went for the test drive van seemed much quieter and ran smoother but I continued to drive because I new it took a few minutes of driving before it started acting up.Just as I'm heading back It happens again now I'm lost everybody I asked said that the catalytic sound like my problem. Now I'm starting to think it has something to do with the transmission or torque convertor but like I said it drives fine when I first take off then after a few minutes of driven it feels like its losing power and I can only get up to like 35 mph but its like it is struggling to get up there. I just want to get thoughts of what you think it could be now. The motor gets louder and is shaking when this starts happing even when I put it in park.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:20 AM

funny thing, my new van has been doing the same thing, but because it has so much lifter noise and a little knock, i just figured the engine was crapping out.

i can't think of a many thingsmechanical that would make a broken-in engine run fine and then lose power when warm, besides some problem with valve clearances (but hydraulic lifters!). Could be something to do with the fuel injection sensors, a temp sensor could be malfunctioning, saying it's always cold leading to an over-rich condition ... possibly clogging cat's? now i'm completely guessing

Old 04-13-2007, 02:15 AM

Well the van is at the mechanics so hopefully he can figure it out and I'll get back to ya'll on what the problem was or is.