Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Ford E250 Missing Please Help !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Default Ford E250 Missing Please Help !!!!!!!!

I recently bought a ford e 250 6cyl 4.9 ltr. from a guy in indiana. i DROVE IT BACK TO MY HOUSE IN BEACON 12 HR DRIVE . RAN BEAUTIFULL. 3 WEEKS LATER I HAD TROUBLE STARTING IT. i WOULD HAVE TO PUT STARTING FLUID INSIDE THE AIR INTAKE FOR IT TO START. oNCE I GOT IT STARTED IT PURED LIKE A BABY NICE AND SMOOTH. I PUT IT INTO DRIVE , STILL PERFECT. I STEP ON THE GAS A LITTLE BIT STILL PERFECT. UNTIL I GET LIKE ALMOST 1/2 DOWN WITH THE GAS PEDAL IT STARTS CUTTING OUT, THEN IF I LET GO OF THE GAS IT IS FINE AGAIN IDLES FINE. IF I KEEP GIVING IT A LOT OF GAS IT STALLS. I BRANG TO A LOCAL MECHANIC HE PUT $500 WORTH OF WORK INTO IT. EGR SENSOR OR VALVE DISTRIBUTOR CAP PLUGS, AND SOME MORE STUFF I CANT REMEMBER. I INSTALLED A EXTERNAL FUEL PUMP. EXTERNAL FUEL FILTER. GAS PRESSURE READS INSIDE THE DOGHOUSE AT 60PSI WHICH I HEARD WAS GOOD. I AM TOTALLY BOGGED DOWN WITH THIS THING I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT I BRANG IT TO MI MECHANIC TODAY AGAIN . WHEN I STARTED IT UP I HAD TO SPRAY STARTING FLUID AGAIN. AND IT MISSED FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES OF ME DRIVING VERY SLOW WITH ME NOT PRESSING ON THE GAS, THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN PERFECT AGAIN. I DONT UNDERSTAND MAYBEE I SHOULD KILL MYSELF I AM SO FRUSTRATED ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS. THE MECHANIC SES NOW AFTER TESTING THE INJECTORS THE 1ST TIME AND TELLING ME THEY TESTED FINE , THAT IT HAS TO BE THE INJECTORS. I THINK I AM DEALING WITH A CRAPPY MECHANIC BUT I DONT NO. I NEED SOME EXTRA ASSISTANCE HERE IF I SHOULD GO ALONG AND REPLACE THE INJECTORS OR IF IT COULD BE SOMETHING ELSE PLEASE ANYONE LET ME KNOW ASAP THAN KS SO MUCH PATRICK CIANCANELLI

Old 06-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Default RE: Ford E250 Missing Please Help !!!!!!!!

Hoprfully it's not the dreaded manifold leak comon to the V6s. I realy don't know the proper way to test for it but the simplist approach is to see if your coolant level drops after a run or overnight. Next, maybe pull a plug to see if water shoots out when you turn it over. (Obviously a two man job) It may be just a trickle now but will get worse and will damage the engine. Mine had so much fluid in the cylinder, I couldn't turn it over. That in itself save the engine.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:33 PM

yea no water out of the spark plug and the coolant is fine when i turn it on and let it run 4 a while so i dont know. A manifold leak would cause this ? thanx for the reply greatly appreciated . i just picked it up from the mechanic. turned right over after 2 tries drove home perfect .

Old 06-27-2006, 08:08 PM

That is good news. I was only surmising that IF the water was seeping into the cylinder, the air/gas mixture would be diluted. What was the solution?

Old 06-28-2006, 01:24 AM

no solution yet im burnt out with this thing man , i dont know what to do , what do u think about the injectors.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:20 AM

I would think the injectors could make it run rough.. If it's getting fuel and spark, then either or both are not being constant. The fuel pump has constant pressure(?) but could be the injectors are dirty. The ignition works but is it hot enough? New plugs and wires or it may be the ignition is grounding out. I had a 1990 GM once and if the timing was set without disconecting a specific wire first, it would ping. I wonder if a wire isn't loose or disconected on the charge or ignition side of the electrical.

Just some random thoughts:
Try pouring in "injector cleaner" in the tank. Mostly, try wiggling all kinds of wires . I know it sounds stupid BUT I found a loose ground wire on my wifes car. That was for the fuel pump installed by a shop who couldn't find the trouble with her car. If the van used anormal distributer, it could be jumping on the cam but these engines work differently.

Really, it's something that seems like a dirty fuel filter. I wonder if it could be at the tank end. If the shop put in a new pump, they must have thought the origional was hooped. I wonder if the screen is plugged and prevents "flow" (not pressure) As long as a pump has fluid it can maintain pressure but the FLOW may not be enough. If you had it running fine and then the symptoms came on suddenly, it could be any of the above.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:29 AM

Just a question. Are we talking about the 4.9 inline six or the 4.2 V6. What year is it?

Old 06-28-2006, 01:51 PM

it is a 1990 someone yold me it was the 4.9 i believe inline 6

Old 06-28-2006, 10:34 PM

The best six cylinder anyone made. The V6 in my 97 is okay but they had problems at the start. Yours has been made for decades and improved over the years. Don't give up on it. There can't be much wrong but something is being overlooked. My Haynes manual only goes back to 1993 but i'll check around as well.