Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

HELP! 96 e150 "coughing/sputtering"

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Default HELP! 96 e150 "coughing/sputtering"

UGGH HELP!! i just purchased this beautiful conversion van. it is spotless, ( a little elderly couple really did own it!!) it has the 5.8 motor, 119,000 miles, the check engine light came on after 30 miles of driving it from the used car dealer. I did some research and the pinging/codes problem pointed to the map sensor, i added 1/2 tank of gas and some LUCAS upper cylinder lube and injector cleaner( roughly 3 oz.) , and and now the van will not idle, is coughs, and sputters, i have to floor it to just keep it running. it sounds as though it is starving for gas.after a few minutes of this, it will cough, surge then rev up fine, then 50 yards down the road it does it all over again. I tried cleaning the map sensor ( trouble codes point to map sensor) by following procedure found inforums somewhere, ( electrical contact cleaner) and that did not help.
Of course, i bought it from a used car dealer, and got the "well, we cant do anything for you, it doesnt have warranty, and the best i could do is get you at cost parts from my parts guy" speech. Is there something simple i can check? As like most people these days, i am next to broke and pretty much spent my whole income tax check on this van. I need to safely and dependably transport my 2 year old triplets and 7 year old!!( thats why i got rid of the dodge and got another ford!)is it possible the lucas injector cleaner "jammed up something in the injectors? I was never really big on using these additives, but a neighbor suggested trying it.
thanks in advance for any advice or info or suggestions!!
triplet dad

Old 09-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Default RE: HELP! 96 e150 "coughing/sputtering"

hey , Im not a mechanic but you might try cleaning the MAF sensor just past the air filter(of course change the airfilter) and then if that doesnt fix it , clean the throttle body. expensive to have it done and a bear to do yourself but can save ya some money.