Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Moved post from newbie forum: 97 e350 linkage problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Default Moved post from newbie forum: 97 e350 linkage problem

I did a search and found this info with the same prob i am having...but can't find the solution...anyone here have any ideas other than bushings?

When I put the shift handle into reverse position, it's actually in neutral. I can get under the truck and manually shift the lever on the transmission into reverse and it will work. The cable seems to be stretched. When I put the shift handle into neutral, it actually goes into Drive. The transmission doesn't correspond to what the shift handle is indicating. As far as I can see, this is not a transmission problem, but a linkage problem of some sort. When the transmission is actually in the gear it's supposed to be in, it works perfectly fine, so I don't think anything is wrong internally with it. Can anyone give me advice as to what the problem is and how it can be rectified. Are there any adjustments that I can make to shorten or adjust the linkage to get it back to working for the correct gear again? I appreciate any information received on this matter.

Also when I manually put the gear into park it allows me to start it but them I cant shift out of park. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.