Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Please help CEL and can't pull codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 05:02 PM
Default Please help CEL and can't pull codes

1995 e-150 Today the CEL came on and van started running really bad. I tried to check codes but my ODB1 scanner won't communicate (it may be broke) also tried the jumper wire to get the CEL to flash and that didn't work either. When the key is in the on position but not running I can hear what sounds like the fuel pump running constantly and when the van does start (which it doesn't at the moment) it runs rough and smoke come from exhaust and a strong exhaust smell as well. I did change out the PSOM a few days ago because it was going bad and causing hard shifts. This did fix that problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:54 PM

Hi Gino,

We're gonna take a short cut based on some of the info you provided.
Just why the fuel pump is running all the time can get a little involved, but we can come back to that.

There should be a fuel pressure regulator located on the fuel rail located on top of the engine. You will see a vacuum hose connected to it.
Remove the hose and see if any fuel leaks out. If so , the regulator has a ruptured diaphram and will need to be replaced. If the diaphram is ruptured, that means the vacuum from the engine is pulling fuel in through the regulator to the intake . This can make starting difficult plus pours addl fuel into the engine producing a very rich and black exhaust smoke. Can you check that and let us know what you find?

Old 05-31-2021, 05:57 PM

Thank you for that info. In the interim I was just screwing around checking fuses etc... I disconnected a black box that says Ford 95 07 27a and the van not only started right up but the CEL went away and it runs better than it ever has since I owned it. For example this van always stuttered a bit at WOT... it is not doing that now and is running like someone dropped a new engine in. Does anyone know what that box is (it contains the door open bell) but it has to do more than just that.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:55 PM

So after driving about 25 miles, starting and stopping, starting and restarting. The problem seems to have gone completely. I can once again scan the ECM and I do get a code 565 which I believe is a purge canister solenoid, that code has been there since I bought the van and yes it idles a little bit rough and doesn't start on the first try every time. I can't even imagine what happened.. even the sound from the fuel pump running with key in the on position has stopped.. is it possible there was a short and when I unplugged the box with the bell in it I corrected the problem?