Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Plume of white smoke driving down steep decline

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 01:36 PM
Default Plume of white smoke driving down steep decline

Hello all, this is regarding a 1998 e350 econoline v10 6.8L (gas) Class B camper van (gross weight at least 10k). To set the scene, i descend 5500' over the course of 15 miles, down mountain for work. Just purchased the vehicle with 52k. Inspection showed the motor, fluids, and breaks functioning optimally. I had her in D2 at roughly 50mph most of the ride down with intermittent breaking. Toward the bottom, I shifted back into Drive, and began merging onto the highway somewhere between 35 to 45mph. A HUGE plume of white smoke exited the exhaust. Immediately pulled over. I thoroughly checked everything I could think of for 10 min, then brought her into town (20 miles) at about 50 mph. The smoke dissipated very quickly upon start up and acceleration. Never overheated. Maybe a minor odor, but it was so faint, I could have been making it up. This was only her 2nd trip down mountain - the first had much more break work vs engine work. Any thoughts on this occurrence? Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.

ps i plan to turn off overdrive in the next descent, instead of D2 and see how she responds.

Old 05-17-2022, 01:54 PM

When you go into OD OFF , it just stays in 3rd gear and prevents it from going into overdrive..

I would keep an eye on the coolant level. If it stays the same, maybe no problem/

Old 05-17-2022, 03:35 PM

It's probably harmless but if you want to be cautious I would do the following, have the cooling system pressure tested. Go to the tailpipe and get a whiff with the engine running, if coolant is in the exhaust gas it will have an unusual sweet odor to it. Finally keep an eye on your coolant level. I do not see the connection whether the transmission is in OD or D3 and exhaust smoke other than a difference in engine RPM.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:39 PM
Default Weird

Originally Posted by Kerravan
Hello all, this is regarding a 1998 e350 econoline v10 6.8L (gas) Class B camper van (gross weight at least 10k). To set the scene, i descend 5500' over the course of 15 miles, down mountain for work. Just purchased the vehicle with 52k. Inspection showed the motor, fluids, and breaks functioning optimally. I had her in D2 at roughly 50mph most of the ride down with intermittent breaking. Toward the bottom, I shifted back into Drive, and began merging onto the highway somewhere between 35 to 45mph. A HUGE plume of white smoke exited the exhaust. Immediately pulled over. I thoroughly checked everything I could think of for 10 min, then brought her into town (20 miles) at about 50 mph. The smoke dissipated very quickly upon start up and acceleration. Never overheated. Maybe a minor odor, but it was so faint, I could have been making it up. This was only her 2nd trip down mountain - the first had much more break work vs engine work. Any thoughts on this occurrence? Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.

ps i plan to turn off overdrive in the next descent, instead of D2 and see how she responds.
well have you checked brake fluid? Really, I once had a BMW 2002 that blow white smoke when making a LEFT turn aggressively. After tearing my hair out for weeks, it was a small weeping leak into vacuum booster from master cylinder that was sucked into intake on a left turn when fluid covered hole for vacuum line. Master was only down about 20 percent. A steep descent angle COULD POSSIBLY allow this on your van. Anyway, I've always wanted to tell this to someone.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:04 PM

Thank you for the info. Stranger things have happened , but It is nice to know this is a possibility..