Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Power loss on E-250

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 09:51 AM
Default Power loss on E-250

I have ford E-250 5.4L V8 gas van 2000 year. I noticed a loss of power and engine sound is increasing under load. It could be the fuel pump?

Does anyone know what type of fuel pump it requires? is it 2 port with midship or rear axle OR 3 port ahead of rear axle one?

Old 05-05-2020, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Filter change? First step would be a fuel pressure/volume test done prior to a replacement. Many a good pump has been replaced otherwise.
At least to remove fuel delivery from the diagnostic table.
Any CEL?
Does the hesitation occur during warm up? No idle issues, or low end surge?
Engine sound increasing, how so, or meaning?

Old 05-05-2020, 01:21 PM

warm up and idle is fine ...loss of power when I accelerate or drive uphill. I was trying to buy a fuel pump as it was due anyway but I can't find out the correct one. is it 2 pin or 3 pin and midship or ahead of rear axle trunk? Couldn't find anything in the service manual.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Midship is ahead of rear axle. Aft of the axle, is rear..

Generally if fuel deprivation, you can/should be able to duplicate the issue by climbing a 'steep' grade etc. Meaning, at a specific or lower throttle pedal angle and RPM the van would run spec,, then,, applying more pedal angle and the van then starves and performance falters. Let off the throttle just a bit and the engine performance 'quickly' improves. There's quite a few things that can cause a flat throttle. You never answered if there was ever a CEL or recent fuel filter change. If a filter, any indication on inspection of debris out of the inlet? Quite often on a failing pump, audible indications are noticed, but not always..

Some parts vendors have loaner pressure testers. With a test gauge installed on the fuel rail schrader valve in view of the driver, during a flat throttle event under normal ops, the gauge would indicate out of spec fuel delivery...

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-05-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Midship is ahead of rear axle. Aft of the axle, is rear..

Generally if fuel deprivation, you can/should be able to duplicate the issue by climbing a 'steep' grade etc. Meaning, at a specific or lower throttle pedal angle and RPM the van would run spec,, then,, applying more pedal angle and the van then starves and performance falters. Let off the throttle just a bit and the engine performance 'quickly' improves. There's quite a few things that can cause a flat throttle. You never answered if there was ever a CEL or recent fuel filter change. If a filter, any indication on inspection of debris out of the inlet? Quite often on a failing pump, audible indications are noticed, but not always..

Some parts vendors have loaner pressure testers. With a test gauge installed on the fuel rail schrader valve in view of the driver, during a flat throttle event under normal ops, the gauge would indicate out of spec fuel delivery...
There was an EVAP light on P04442 a few months ago. I did notice a fuel smell a little bit. Iast time I gave for service my mechanic told me that it would need fuel pump changes after 10k miles and I only have dome 3k after that.

So for E-250 which one is the right one midship?

Last edited by ridervanner; 05-05-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:53 PM

Today I hooked up OBD11 reader and saw three codes:

P0442
P0174
P0308