Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Steering column Not Locking

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 10:16 PM
Default Steering column Not Locking

Help, I Lowered steering column to install new Cluster. Now it wont lock, or stert. I WAS VERY Careful to put everything back as found, but must have missed something

Old 02-05-2022, 11:20 PM

Did you ever both to program the new cluster like we told you to?

Old 02-06-2022, 03:35 PM
Default Cluster , column

Originally Posted by scott.butler4
Did you ever both to program the new cluster like we told you to?
I did everything the Forscan said to. Seemed very vague as to actually Mate up all components. Gave code that stated they weren't paired ..then nothing as to HOW TO Get them all to comunicate. I'm at a loss, Also that the steering won't lock, along with shifter. All gears are properly lined up, just won't lock in place. ARRRRRGHH....

Old 02-08-2022, 02:13 PM

Please explain which is happening.
Is the steering wheel not locking in position when the key is turned to the lock position,,,,,,,,,,if it applies here,,,,,,,,don't know year & model..

OR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Is the shift lever not locking in the park position,,,

Old 02-09-2022, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Please explain which is happening.
Is the steering wheel not locking in position when the key is turned to the lock position,,,,,,,,,,if it applies here,,,,,,,,don't know year & model..

OR,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Is the shift lever not locking in the park position,,,
2012 E150 Van
. With key in off position, steering wheel turns freely, AND Shifter. Goes into any gear. And it won't start/turn over

Old 02-09-2022, 10:09 AM

Sounds like actuator is broken.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:16 AM

What if you took the lock cyl out again and looked to see if the end of it was indexed properly into the rack?

Old 02-10-2022, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
What if you took the lock cyl out again and looked to see if the end of it was indexed properly into the rack?
Thanks, the cylinder doesn't seem to allign properly. I've just gotten a new cylinder, now need to get the micrometer device to measure the key for correct wafer sequence. Unable to disassemble old cylinder to use old wafers.. Oh, in the off position, key would NOT come out. Had to remove assy to get key out.
I'll let you know how new assy works out.
(probably take to locksmith in hometown on Saturday)

Old 02-10-2022, 11:43 AM

I hope you read this before Saturday.

Make sure the locksmith you choose can program your new keys to your vehicle or you will never get it started.

This is one of those situations that gets more complicated with every step we take. If all is done as required, your troubles should be over.

Make sure you have at least 2 working keys. That is required so you can program any addl keys yourself. ALWAYS have a 3rd working key so you don't have problems later.

Old 02-11-2022, 03:08 PM

Unfortunately, only One key came with van.
when I get to Locksmith, who does ALL of the dealers work around here , I'll ask him to do what's needed. I've read all the threads about 2 working keys, so if new assy can get fitted for old key, that's a start.

Quick Reply: Steering column Not Locking