Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Trans Range Sensor Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 05:32 PM
Default Trans Range Sensor Install

1995 E350 Ecoline

Watching videos of this "easy" swap out AFTER I pulled my off-DOH. I left my truck in Park on the shift column. Was I supposed to shift it into Neutral?
The videos I've watched don't mention anything about putting the transmission in Neutral at the shift column, they only mention jerry rigging it into neutral at the transmission when taking off the old switch. What do I need to do properly in order to get it set properly?

Old 02-21-2022, 05:28 PM

Hi Mike,
If you haven't already found your answer, this should help.

Remove sensor (MLPS)
Make sure trans is in neutral
On the sensor there is an inner part that rotates with the shaft the sensor slides over , there is a scribed line
On the sensor body is also a scribed line
Once you slide the sensor on to the shaft ,rotate the body of the sensor so the 2 scribed lines line up and tighten the 2 mounting screws and it should be correctly adjusted.. Then complete the installation.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:34 AM

Ok thanks for clarification. The new sensor already has index marks lined up. I guess now my question is how do I get the transmission to Neutral position since I already took the old sensor off? How do I know I have it in neutral while I'm underneath the car? Is there a certain number of clicks forward or back on the transmission lever I can move it? I thought I could play around with trying to do this, and then take the parking brake off to check, but I don't know if I'll be able to push the car to tell if it's in gear or in neutral or not.

Old 02-22-2022, 11:44 AM

It s really simple and you can do it.

Even if you have the linkage off the shaft, Just take a pair of pliers and rotate the shaft going into the trans.
You will notice a large gap at the last position , that is now in park. Now rotate the shaft out of the park position ,one click, and that will be reverse, then rotate it one more click ,that will be neutral. this whole thing is a lot easier if you carefully use a pair of vise grip pliers. You will be able to see and feel what is happening too. Happy motoring.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:32 PM

Ok thanks, those tips help immensely.