Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

2011 Edge ABS and Traction Control lights on

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020 | 12:17 PM
|
Default 2011 Edge ABS and Traction Control lights on

I have a 2011 Edge, and currently the ABS and Traction Control lights are on. When I connect a scanner, either a scanner or ForSCAN, neither even sees the ABS module. This problem has been occurring off and on for about a year and a half. When it first happened I thought the ABS module had failed. But then all the lights went out for about 4 months and everything worked fine. They came back on in the fall, and after I replaced brake pads all around they went back out, and stayed out for over a month. Then I loaned the car to my mother and she left the ignition on, running the battery all the way down. After jumping it they came back on and stayed on.

I'm thinking that I may have a bad wheel speed sensor, but I can't figure out why I can't read the ABS module when the problem occurs. My experience with computer modules is that they don't come and go, when they fail they fail for good, that's why I don't think it's the ABS module. Does anyone have any ideas? This is driving me nuts, and I don't want to spend $1000 at the dealer to get it diagnosed.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2020 | 03:19 PM

What happens if you clear any codes and start all over again? Also you might try removing the negative battery cable for a few minutes, (go have a cup of coffee)to help erase all adaptive memory. You will lose the radio stations and possibly idle and shifting scheduling. Idle will reset if you don't touch the throttle pedal after restarting the engine.
If a wheel speed sensor is faulty it should give you a code telling which wheel is involved even if it is intermittent. Then you can go on from there.

Old 01-27-2020 | 05:30 PM
|

When the problem is going on I can clear all the codes that are available and they just come right back. I can't clear anything form the ABS because the scanner and ForSCAN can't see the ABS module at all. I have disconnected the positive battery cable for an hour and that didn't do any good, I don't know if doing the negative cable would be any different but I will certainly try it.

As for the other codes that it throws, they are normally "lost communication with ABS module", although every now and then I will see one related to the data bus. What gets me is at some point the issue will go away by itself for a few months, then come back.

Old 03-27-2024 | 01:14 PM
Default Did you resolve this?

Originally Posted by atrdriver
When the problem is going on I can clear all the codes that are available and they just come right back. I can't clear anything form the ABS because the scanner and ForSCAN can't see the ABS module at all. I have disconnected the positive battery cable for an hour and that didn't do any good, I don't know if doing the negative cable would be any different but I will certainly try it.

As for the other codes that it throws, they are normally "lost communication with ABS module", although every now and then I will see one related to the data bus. What gets me is at some point the issue will go away by itself for a few months, then come back.

I have the exact same issue now. Did you find a resolution?

Old 03-27-2024 | 03:11 PM

Unfortunately , there no easy fixes these days.

What I would suggest if you have the time and don't want to have a shop check the functioning of the wheel speed sensors to determine which corner could have the problem, you might check the connections at all the wheels where the sensors plug to the wiring. :Look for poor or dirty connections. A good part of the time that is what gets involved with intermittent problems.

Old 03-27-2024 | 03:42 PM
|

Originally Posted by hanky
Unfortunately , there no easy fixes these days.

What I would suggest if you have the time and don't want to have a shop check the functioning of the wheel speed sensors to determine which corner could have the problem, you might check the connections at all the wheels where the sensors plug to the wiring. :Look for poor or dirty connections. A good part of the time that is what gets involved with intermittent problems.
The dealer says I have a bad ABS module. Problem with that is I have never seen a computer module go out, then come back, then go out,then come back...on and on. Right now it has been fine for about 3 months. Before it came back it was out with all the lights on for about 7 or 8 months. But when the ABS light comes on a scanner can't see the ABS system at all.

Old 06-28-2024 | 01:35 PM

Check for a cracked tone ring. It’s common on these. Problem is that you have to replace the whole cv axle as it’s part of the axle