Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2014 Ford Escape coolant issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020 | 01:01 PM
|
Default 2014 Ford Escape coolant issues

Hi. I have a 2014 1.6 titanium. Yesterday Saturday went to start it high temp light came on check engine came on cars seems to be misfiring. Haven’t had chance to pull any codes yet. This is a used vehicle with 95k miles. I have had all the recalls done on it. I was doing some research and it looks like this model has some major issues with the engine and coolant leaking into the cylinders. We have had white smoke coming out of the exhaust right after we purchased it. Question is do you guys who are techs know about the coolant and engine issues with these models? Is it as prevelant as it seems to be online.? I am reading that if the coolant leaks into the cylinders it needs a new engine and Ford is denying there is an issue. Below is a thread with lots of people complaining about this issue. Am I covered for this under the 100k Powertrain warranty? Posts are also saying people got new engines and had same issue. Also could this just be a head coolant sensor issue? Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Thread link below https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discus...51333_ds954778

Old 07-12-2020 | 01:25 PM

When you post the codes present that will get you a better answer.
The 1.6 engine does have some issues with overheating and warping the head.
The fact that you had white exhaust when you bought it is troubling.
For the engine getting replaced under powertrain warranty, we generally have to break down the engine at least to the headgasket and give ford measurements and pictures, then ford uses this to decide what course they want to take with the engine.
Have you had the coolant level sensor recall completed? Most of the engines at my dealer that ended up getting replaced were before the recall was performed and thus driven with low coolant and overheated.
That said without doing a thorough visual inspection and a coolant pressure test it will be hard to tell you what all is bad, there are simply a lot of coolant hoses and not a lot of room to easily inspect them for leakage.
Did you see a coolant on the ground under the vehicle? Is the coolant level low? DO NOT OPEN THE RESERVOIR WHEN THE SYSTEM IS HOT.

Old 07-12-2020 | 01:49 PM
|

Yes I had the coolant recall completed in June of last year. There was a coolant leak after that but I had that fixed also. There was a hose leaking. I see no coolant on the ground and don’t smell it. It is still sitting half way between low and max since then so I don’t think it’s leaking. I will post codes when I get home. I’m hoping it’s just a sensor. Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 07-12-2020 | 09:20 PM
|

Just pulled the codes.
P1299 Cylinder Head protection active
P0166 Engine coolant temp.

Also saw that the IAT sensor was fluctuating between 255 and 88. Car is currently in limp mode and needs to be towed in to the dealer.

Old 07-13-2020 | 01:01 PM

Are you sure about the definition for P0166?
I dont see that listed in Ford DTC charts and if its googled the top results are about O2 sensor fault.

Your ESP warranty should cover whatever is needed though. I think ESP comes with towing coverage of some sort.

Old 07-13-2020 | 03:44 PM
|

Originally Posted by scott.butler4
Are you sure about the definition for P0166?
I dont see that listed in Ford DTC charts and if its googled the top results are about O2 sensor fault.

Your ESP warranty should cover whatever is needed though. I think ESP comes with towing coverage of some sort.
I changed out the sensor and had to delete the codes a few times but its running now. I still think I should take it in to have the engine looked at as Im under 100K and I have a powertrain warranty to 100K to see what that white smoke coming out the tailpipe on start up is. Thoughts?

Old 07-13-2020 | 04:27 PM

If the sensor you replaced was bad and caused the engine to overheat but now those codes dont come back the dealer wont have much to go off for engine damage unless other overheating codes get set.
If your under warranty and are worried about engine damage you should just take it to them, thats why you paid for the warranty.

Last edited by scott.butler4; 07-14-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-27-2020 | 01:24 PM
|

Update. Went to drive the car yesterday after it was started by remote start. The car sat for 10 minutes to cool down outside. We have a 10 minute timer set to turn the car off after that. We get in to start it and there goes the high temp warning, with the temp gauge pinned and the engine goes into limp mode. This is after I changed out the engine temp block sensor. So we clear the codes and it runs fine, if we don't clear the codes we can't drive it, I know that's the point but after we drive it, it stops. Now its at the garage. Gave the tech the codes that it threw and how we got it to show overheating but of course, they can't recreate it. They drove the car let it sit running now overheating and I know its not losing coolant, Nothing on the ground the reservoir is full. Now whether or not they can make the car go into limp mode and throw the codes should not matter correct? I had given them the codes and I saw no reason to get a tow truck, to take it there when I could just clear them and it works fine.

Another update. I brought the car to the dealer last week they had it 5 days for the white smoke out the tailpipe issue. Of course, it did not do that once when they had it. They said they did a pressure test and they found no leaks which they said means no coolant leak into the cylinder. They found nothing wrong and gave it back to me.

Anyone have any experience with this or can give me any guidance.?

Last edited by rog2867; 07-27-2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: info added
Old 07-27-2020 | 01:55 PM
|

So mechanic just calls me says there is a bulletin from Ford regarding this issue that says you have to have the BCM sensor reprogrammed to fix this as it has to do with the autostart feature. Thanks..... Any input?

Old 07-30-2020 | 03:40 PM
|

So the dealer says that TSB's are not covered by ford and I have to pay.

Quick Reply: 2014 Ford Escape coolant issues