Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Coil Failure after oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Default Coil Failure after oil change?

I know it will sound rediculous, but is there anything that a Ford/Chrysler/Jeep dealership mechanic could do during an oil change to cause coils to go out in Ford vehicles. It has happened too many times to be a coincidence in my opinion. A few years ago, I had an engine replaced on F150 under warrantee, I drove it home and two coils went out. Dealership acknowledged mechanic error in that case. Since then I have had one more go out on F150 after oil change and two go out after two different oil changes on Escape. I am done with that dealership! But I don't know what they can be doing? Maybe overfilling with oil?

Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Default RE: Coil Failure after oil change?

no there is nothing related to an oil change that can make a coil go out.
I wouldnt go back there , that is to many coincidences. That many times , they are probably putting bad coils on your truck so they can sell you a new one.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Default RE: Coil Failure after oil change?

Update to coil failure. The miss was in Cylinder #3, in the rear, under the intake manifold. After some research and finding TSB's from Ford about Cylinder misses and coil failure, I found out that about 50% of the coils replaced under warrantee were not bad. When there is a cylinder miss, the mechanics just replace the spark plug and coil with out determining failure. I am sure in most cases it makes sense due to labor cost.

I moved the coils from the rear to the front and the front to the rear and put everything back together to test. NO miss. everything is fine. Probably a loose connection.