Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Front passenger caliper locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 10:42 AM
Default Front passenger caliper locks

So I replaced the front passenger caliper because the piston was seized. Now that I replaced the caliper to a New Caliper it creates the same problem. Could this be the ABS that has the issue? I will preform brake bleed to all brakes and hope it may be this simple.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:27 AM

What year do you have?
All other wheels spin freely?
With the brake locked up loosen the bleeder screw and see if the caliper releases.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:41 AM

It's a 2007.
all the other wheels spin freely.
I did loosen that caliper bleeder screw and it spins.
the thing that confuses me is that when I press the brake pedal the rotor spins for a brief second.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:18 PM

I would recommend looking over the front brake lines from the right front wheel all the way to the ABS module, the hard brake lines are painted black, though unlikely when you look them over watch for cracked paint as that could indicate damage, the flex hose could have a restriction though I have not know a way to test this.
The flex hoses are cheep enough if you dont see any damage to any of the lines just replace it and see if that fixes the issue, If you havent already replaced the two copper crush washers when you replaced the caliper do that when you replace the line.
Make sure you dont get brake fluid on the brake pads, it gets absorbed and messes with the heat properties of the material.

I am confused about what you saying that the rotor spins when the brake pedal is pressed, can you explain this more?

Old 09-02-2020, 12:30 PM

When I put the car on drive the front driver spins with no problem, the passenger side doesn't spin at all. When I press the brake pedal the passenger side spins as if pressure was being relieved.
So I have bleed the system and the fluid comes out clean but the pedal is very hard and I'm starting to think the booster may be bad too. But I'm still thinking the abs has gone bad.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:54 PM

Well **** thats weird as ****.
Do you hear the ABS pump turning on at all while braking?
You could disconnect the ABS electrical connector and see what happens with the brakes then, it almost sounds like that solenoid is holding and releasing pressure incorrectly, I would be curious as to if the concern changes any with the ABS not being able to do anything.
I remember the ABS connector on the escapes is weird but dont recall how to release it, I feel like something slides or swings upwards to unlock the connector.

If a brake booster is working correctly you should be able to push the pedal to the floor with the engine running as many times as you want without to much force, with the engine off the pedal will be harder to push with each time you press the brake pedal till it no longer moves from the rest position, then when you start the engine back up the pedal will go down to the floor and all that rock hard resistance is gone.
How hard you have to push to pedal with the engine running is related to the how far gone the brake booster is.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:13 PM

From what you said about the booster then I guess my booster is working properly. I'm going to be testing the abs now and see what results I achieve.