Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Spark Plug Issue 3.0 Duratec 2005 Ford Escape

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 05:03 AM
Default Spark Plug Issue 3.0 Duratec 2005 Ford Escape

Going on a week to replace spark plugs on my Escape.
Can someone with a 3.0 Duratec please tell me how many turns you get when threading in the spark plugs?
I went to replace plugs & realized they only threaded in approximately 5 turns = 1/2 available threads on the spark plug.
That didn't seem like they would be in all of the way so I counted the turns in hand & it would be about 10 turns to completely thread in.
I then looked at the old Motorcraft plugs & can tell by the debris packed into the top 1/2 of the threads that these were installed only 1/2 way.

After searching "on-the line" I sprayed a little PB Blaster into each heads plug holes on 2 days & let it sit for a day after each spray. Then, ran a Spark Plug Thread Chaser tool to clean carbon out of each heads plug threads. The chaser easily threaded in 10 full turns. No ratchet necessary - turned the extension in my fingers. Then tried the new spark plug again. No Joy... Only threads in the same 5 turns... Approximately 1/2 the plug threads.

It's difficult to tell if the plug is seated all of the way in or not. Maybe this is how it's supposed to be - hence my question to confirm.
AND
All 6 plugs seem to thread in the same...AND if they are not fully seated they appear to be close.

This is either... the way it's supposed to be - plugs thread in 5 turns - 1/2 the available threads...
OR
Maybe the previous owner had to use a thread repair kit. Which may become more apparent in a week when my newly ordered Borescope Tool comes in.
I know my request to count a plug turns is a PITA so I would like to thank the brave & bold who graciously count their plug turns in advance...
I really would like to know if "all's good" or if I have other tentative issues to address.
Thanks Again
Don
SoLidWire

Last edited by SoLidWire; 01-27-2023 at 05:08 AM.