Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Spark Plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Default Spark Plugs.

Hello, I would like to know at how many kilometers should I replace the spark plugs in our 2010 Escape? I live out of town and commute about an hour every day, we have a V6 and replacing the spark plugs is much more labor intensive, so is it worth doing platinum plugs?

Are there plugs that would increase my M.P.G ? Reliability is the....MOST...important thing to me, that is why I am concerned about what plugs to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 AM

You'll probably find that your engine came with iridium spark plugs. These are a 100,000 mile plug. I know of no spark plug that will increase mileage except for a new spark plug replacing a worn spark plug. Iridium spark plugs take less voltage to fire, thus are easier on the ignition system. However, the center electrode is the only iridium in the plug, thus the ground electrode will wear causing the gap to increase over time. If you want to go platinum, go with a plain ole' DOUBLE PLATINUM plug as they have a spot of platinum on the center and ground electrode and resists wear better. Here is a picture of one of my 100,000 miles iridium plugs from my Freestar.

Attached Thumbnails Spark Plugs.-freestar-spark-plug-100k-miles.jpg  
Old 08-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
You'll probably find that your engine came with iridium spark plugs. These are a 100,000 mile plug. I know of no spark plug that will increase mileage except for a new spark plug replacing a worn spark plug. Iridium spark plugs take less voltage to fire, thus are easier on the ignition system. However, the center electrode is the only iridium in the plug, thus the ground electrode will wear causing the gap to increase over time. If you want to go platinum, go with a plain ole' DOUBLE PLATINUM plug as they have a spot of platinum on the center and ground electrode and resists wear better. Here is a picture of one of my 100,000 miles iridium plugs from my Freestar.

Thank you very much, I will look for the iridium plugs. Do you have a suggestion for the best brand? .

Old 08-25-2013, 04:10 PM

I use NGKs in my Freestar. My 2007 Focus has Iridium NGKs from the factory. I haven't looked since it's in Arizona, but I would assume that My MKZ also has NGK iridium plugs in it. So I would recommend the NGKs.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:51 PM

I use NGKs in my Freestar. My 2007 Focus has Iridium NGKs from the factory. I haven't looked since it's in Arizona, but I would assume that My MKZ also has NGK iridium plugs in it. So I would recommend the NGKs.
Thank you for your time, I will do that! Have a great day!

Old 03-01-2024, 06:36 PM

You'll probably find that your engine came with iridium spark plugs. These are a 100,000 mile plug. I know of no spark plug that will increase mileage except for a new spark plug replacing a worn spark plug. Iridium spark plugs take less voltage to fire, thus are easier on the ignition system. However, the center electrode is the only iridium in the plug, thus the ground electrode will wear causing the gap to increase over time. If you want to go platinum, go with a plain ole' DOUBLE PLATINUM plug as they have a spot of platinum on the center and ground electrode and resists wear better. Here is a picture of one of my 100,000 miles iridium plugs from my Freestar visit.
Hello. Where are the spark plugs located on a 2007 CR-V and is it a difficult job to change them? My CR-V has about 60,000 miles on it.