Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Towing out of snow bank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Default Towing out of snow bank?

I am not the most experienced truck guy, and know very little about owning a big truck. However I live in Manitoba and I have a towing question. We live in the country and last night a lady in an Audi went in the ditch, it was an all wheel drive crossover.

Anyway I went out to help and she was trying like Hell to back out while guy in a large car was trying to pull her out. Then a guy in a monster truck stopped to help, when I explained that her car should be in neutral to protect her tranny, he told me I was full of ****!

She can help by reversing, is it just me or does it not make sense that two trannys that are working that hard could be damaged if they are not in perfect sink. So for next time, what is the correct thing?

The truck guy was an ******* about it when he said it. I would like to know for next time. I have been in the ditch twice and the tow truck driver always says, but your truck in neutral and I will pull you out. Thanks guys and girls!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 AM

Tow truck with winch yes neutral, two yokels trying to get out of ditch then yes she should be in reverse helping out the truck which only has the traction of his tires, the winch on a tow truck is stationary no no traction issues obviously. They are both going in the same direction so no issues. Kind of like how two locomotives work together to pull a long train of cars, ever see one facing forward and the other facing the rear? The one facing the rear is helping out too he is just in reverse.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:33 PM

the engines on a train are run by remote control from the lead locomotive. I bet that you didn't know that little secret did you macaloco 2000? that's why there's only two people on most of the freight trains.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by grindman
the engines on a train are run by remote control from the lead locomotive. I bet that you didn't know that little secret did you macaloco 2000? that's why there's only two people on most of the freight trains.
I have heard something like that yes but don't know the details, the concept is the same helping each other other out.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:03 PM

there's no harm in trying to help out when you're stuck in a snow bank if someone is pulling you out and not using a winch. btw the locomotives on a train are driven by electric motors and they're dc motors at that

Old 01-06-2014, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by grindman
there's no harm in trying to help out when you're stuck in a snow bank if someone is pulling you out and not using a winch. btw the locomotives on a train are driven by electric motors and they're dc motors at that
Yes I know that part the diesel is just there as a generator