Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2019 Liftgate Not Working! Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 01:47 PM
Default 2019 Liftgate Not Working! Please Help!!

2019 Expedition max.

Here is the story. Power liftgate completely stopped working. Will not open manually, with key fob, or the dash. The dash indicates that the liftgate is open (it certainly is not). The liftgate option in the menu is greyed out and inaccessible. Also, the reverse lines on the backup camera disappeared. The liftgate glass does open with the button.

So here’s what I’ve done. All fuses checked good. Eventually I brought it to a mechanic. I was told it was the Liftgate latch/actuator. I figured out how to manually open it from inside with a small screwdriver, replaced the latch/actuator. No change.

Next, I gave up and reluctantly brought it to the dealership. They told me in needed a liftgate control module. “Power was reaching the module but not going through it.” They quoted me $1000 to change the module! I had already removed the panels and access to the module so I politely refused, paid them a $60 diagnostic fee and ordered the part myself. The new module arrived. I installed it and still no change.

I’m at a loss, my wife is about to kill me! Someone please help me!!

Old 06-15-2022, 06:44 AM

A wiring diagram will be necessary to chase down where the signals are being lost. As you know parts replacing can get expensive and disappointing.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

The RGTM is not a plug n play module.. It will need to be PMI programmed to function.
If you, or you know anyone with ForScan and a switchable elm327 adapter, you can program it yourself with As Built data. The data can be had at no cost.

Last edited by Hayapower; 06-15-2022 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 03:34 PM

Update: Problem fixed. Contacted a new mechanic about programming the module. Mechanic wasn’t convinced it was the module. He was apparently able to make each component work by providing direct power. At that point he said he knew there was a broken wire. He traced the wire starting at the module to the fuse box. For reference the lift gate control module is in the side panel above the drivers rear wheel. Wire runs from there towards the drivers door, under the center console, to the passenger door step trim then to the inside fuse box. He located a broken wire under the passenger step trim.

The wire for the liftgate/liftgate glass ajar warning is a very small red and yellow wire. It also powers the wireless charger and reverse camera guide lines (maybe more). Hope this helps someone! My wife is happy that she doesn’t have to trade in her beloved expedition!