Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Strange Things happening to Lincoln

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Unhappy Strange Things happening to Lincoln

i live in saudi Arabia with lot of dust stroms. my vehicle has done 135000 miles. two months earlier, i was driving in dust strom when suddenly the vehicle started like coughing and check engine light came up flashing. i came to know that a coil is out , so manage to come to mechanic and he cheked and found that codes are for one cylinder misfire and fuel sensor. i changed the coil and after three weeks again same thing happened. this time it was different coil and code for O2 sensors. i replace all coils and plugs.
after two days check engine light again came up with code P0430. as the performance of vehicle was okay so i kept on driving it.
yesterday, i went to a long trip approx 1500 miles round trip . while going the jeep went smootly at speed of arround 90 miles .
However on way back it was svere dust strom and after covering approx 100 miles it again started coughing and seemd that its not getting air or chockd.i think one coil gave away.
kindly let me know what shall i do ?

Old 05-25-2013, 09:23 AM

Have you considered checking the air filter? They can get plugged up pretty quick in dust storms and starve the engine for air which in turn will cause it to be starved for fuel which can cause misfires and lead you to think you have an electrical problem.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:52 PM

i just got it computer checked and its code p0430 (already ), p0420 (new) and fuel pressure error code . i ran the fuel diagnostic test as well as injector pressure test which both were okay. I checked the power balance and found no coil damaged or misfire. Then, i checked the air filter, which was choked and got it cleaned. Tomorrow, i am planning to cut the catalytic converters from middle and remove plates from it n then weld it back together. keep the truck without catalytic converter (as even all ford comes to this region without catalytic converters). for check engine light i am planning to use plug non - fouler to keep the sensor away and keep the CEL off.
kindly let me know if i am on right track or not......

Old 05-25-2013, 01:27 PM

There are possibly two converters with an O2 sensor after each converter. That o2 sensor(s) will not report the correct info to the computer and therefore the check engine lite will be on. The emission system is designed to not tolerate any alterations to the system, so clearing out the converters is no help there.
I do not know what changes have been made to the Fords shipped there so no converter would be required.
You can clean those air filters only so much and they have to be replaced.
Sometimes a piece of foam wrapping will trap most of the dirt around the air filter, it may help to prolong the life of the filter , if there is room.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:40 AM

Dear Hanky,
i cut both catalytic converters into half and remove all plates from inside and then reweld it. then put the non foulers on both rear o2 sensors and placed them in hollow catalytic converters. moreover, i cleaned the throatal body.
after all this, i got my jeep today morning and the pick is quite better. i may be taking it on a long run tomorrow and then update regarding the results of these changes.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 AM

you might consider installing a industrial centrifugal air pre filter system. to reduce and maybe prevent so much dust getting to the air filter… they are used on tractors and heavy equipment. they utilize a vortex to separate the dust from the air.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:37 AM

I think I am a little late for Muhammad but someone else might take advantage of it:
P0430 and P0420 catalytic converter performance monitors light up when the efficiency is deemed to be less than 95%.
The question should be, how can I get the catalytic converters from 93% to 96% efficiency? Why did the efficency drop in the first place? It dropped because the catalytic converters and the HO2 sensors got contaminated. Most likely because of too much fuel, too much oil blowing passt the rings or the PCV valve. In this case it may have been sand coming through and glazing the core.
In any case it makes sense to me trying the Lacquer Thinner cat cleaning I learned from ScottyKilmer on Youtube: With the tank 1/2 full add 4 L or Lacquer Thinner (NOT PAINT THINNER!!!) to the fuel and drive for about 100 miles at highway speeds, keeping the rpm below 5000.
It fixed my cat problem on the Mazda Protege (170000miles) and because it made the engine run so nice I also treated the Windstar at 160000 miles and the Contour at 106000 miles. Neither the Windstar nor the Contour had a CEL on. But both are running smoother with better pedal response, in particular the Windstar.

Does it work all the time? Probably not. But it costs only a few bucks and 90 minutes of driving.

Last edited by bluewind; 06-02-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 AM

Dear Bluewind,
i read somewhere that the catalytic converter gets chocked and thus this p0430 /p0420 code comes up.
Anyhow, i have done the modifications in few bucks (approx 20USD Total) i mentioned above and now my truck is running fine and no CEL.