Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

'03 explorer-feels like slammin' into gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Default '03 explorer-feels like slammin' into gear

Hello!

I have an '03 4x4 v8 explorer that I purchases in '05. It is currently in the shop because vehicle feels like it is slamming into gear (that's the best description I have), especially when slowing to stop. It's something that is heard and felt. It's not all the time and not always to the same degree. It was in the shop before for this but since they could not replicate the problem nothing was done. I have called the Ford Co. and they will also be researching this. Can any one offer any suggestions as to what the problem could be? Any and all info/input is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Sandy T.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:10 PM
TK
Default RE: '03 explorer-feels like slammin' into gear

If the sound is what you are talking about like a big thud it has to do with your transmission, it seems ford explorers have this problem, the shop (ford) should be able to fix this.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:01 AM
pm1

My 04 v8 E.B was make a hard ungagement when turning the wheels hard. Then when we would back up or go forward, It felt like the front axle was binding and the car would violently engage the 4wd. The deal re-flashed the transfer case ECU. So they say. Problem is gone.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:26 PM

Update: Just got vehicle back from dealer and it was the solenoid. So far so good; running fine! Thanks for the replies!

Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 PM

I would like to discuss my outrage against Ford Motor Company regarding their lack of concern for consumers of the above vehicle. Shortly after purchasing this vehicle (new) I immediately noticed transmission issues. The vehicle was purchased 09/06. The transmission issue is that when the vehicle is at a full stop - it lunges back into 1st gear hard. If you dont have your foot on the brake you will most certainly go into the vehicle directly in front of you. This problem was reported to Ford immediately for this problem and has been in and out of the repair shop numerous times. The latest is Im not the only consumer having this issue there are hundreds of individuals experiencing the exact same issue. My last repair bill a week ago states this and I quote "There is no immediate solution to the problem.....our engineers at Ford are well aware of the problem and are trying to come up with an effective action to resolve this issue". However what they are doing is forcing people back into their defective and unsafe vehicles while they try and solve the problem. Ford is well aware of this issue and are not doing a damn thing concerning consumers safety. They are treating us like guinea pigs while they find a solution. There are currently (documented) 19 other individuals with the exact same make and model vehicle experiencing the exact same problem as I described. These individuals are concerned about their safety as well. The link to view this is www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2006/transmission

The Ford Motor Co. has turned an automotive backside to almost every customer complaining this transmission issue, leaving them the option or repairing the truck and keeping it or dumping the vehicle on the used-truck market.
More and more Ford mechanics and technicians are siding with consumers, charging that the troubled automaker is fully aware of a major flaw in Ford transmissions causing them to lunge forward and even go out of gearwithout warning.
The mechanics complain that Ford is covering up the defect while squeezing and short-changing technicians and mechanics tasked with repairing the problem for Ford consumers

Many previous Ford modelswere also prone to lunge forward or slip out of gear while parked, so if you buy one, park it outside and leave a brick under the wheel. And never leave children, pets or disabled people alone inside -- even for a minute. ...

]I personally wish some attorney would have the ***** to take this on as a class action lawsuit against Ford. The problem is not only blatant but their lack of sympathy and compassion for a consumers safety just blows me away. I have been in touch with Ford Relations as well and honestly they are a big joke. The only thing they state is that Ford is working on a solution. I have also filed complaints with the BBB and also The National Highway Safety Association. If any other consumers are experiencing this issue and would like to contact me directly please feel free to give them my e-mail address.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:47 AM

Hi, I would like to share my horrific story of the unsafety of these vehicles. Yesterday, my daughters , 12, and 1, and myself went to a family dollar store. I put the vehicle in park, set the brake because I was leaving car on so they would air and went in to get 2 items. While standing in line, my daughter came rushing in with baby in an undescribeable panic saying the car was gone and I took off running outside. My 2003 explorer had jumped gear with the brake set and went forward on an uphill incline and smacked the curb in front of the store. My daughter jumped out intending to go get baby out of the car and as soon as she jumped out, the vehicle starting going backward through parking lot a gentlemen ran over trying to help my daughter stop the car because it was heading backwards downhill toward a busy 2 lane road, they were unable to stop it and thankfully by the grace of God there was a truck parked in one of the bottom spaces and that stopped the vehicle. It's unfortunate the truck had minor damage however that truck being there saved my baby from going out in the road. The man that helped my daughter said when he got in the explorer to move it up, that it was in neutral. So, that means that the vehicle had to have jumped gears not once but twice. Keep in mind the emergency brake was pressed all the way down. There are sooo many "what ifs" to this story. My daughters shoulder and leg were bruised up due to trying to stop the vehicle to save the baby and one truck was hit. This could have easily been a different story, thankfully it turned out the way it did. If anybody has any suggestions or info on how to press this issue please please let me know. I called the dealership where we purchased the vehicle, told them the story and they didnt seem surprised and immediately asked about my daughters which makes me think this isnt a rare problem with these vehicles and that led me to researching. Once again, any suggestions please let me know, Thank You, Cheri

Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 AM

I worked atthe localFord Dealership in the service department a month ago. I drove the cars when they came in for service. Was walking by the shop to get a car one day and i noticed a f 250 rolling off a rack with no one in the drivers seat reverse lights on and engine off headed right for the car wash. The mechanic was in front of the truck and oblivious to what was going on until myself and a few other mechanics yelled at him. We did get the truck stopped before anything was damanged it scared the hell outof all of us. The mechaninc said that he had the ebrake on and had forgotten that Fords not just SUVs but trucks as well hav e brakes that do not work in reverse. That right there is the main reason I dont own a Ford or any new car for that matter as well as automatics. I like them but its just the abundance of problems that makes me stick with my VWs. I work on my parents Fords because I like it but I would never own a new one.

Also the above happened twice in the 5 weeks i worked there. Was a different mechanic the second time.