Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

1993 XLT with 'dead' 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Default 1993 XLT with 'dead' 4WD

Hello all,

I'm new here and this is my first post. Currently I own a forrest green 1993 4D XLT Explorer that was purchased from family friends two summers ago with 119k miles on it. For the most part it was a vehicle for me to meet my needs of getting me from point A to point B in this region for my computer consulting business. I had planned on saving and getting a Subaru Outback to use for the majority of my distance driving while keeping this Explorer to run till it dies. However I'm had *many* problems appear within the last few months, and they continue to appear. I would like to fix the problems as they arise on my own as I do have a solid technical mind (I'm a computer engineer) so I'm familiar with how many things work, or am able to learn really fast. Mainly because if there is something that I can fix here at home and solve the problem, I'd gladly do that.

Anyway the largest of the problems I have right now is that the 4WD no longer works. This is an electronic/automatic 4WD hub so all I have to do is press the 4WD button or 4WD Low button on the dash panel to engage the 4WD. Early this summer when I tried using 4WD for a rocky driveway, I had to press the button several times before the 4WD engaged. Over the next few months it went from pressing several times to having to press it really hard and finally to hitting the top of the dash for it to engage. Something tells me this is purely an electronical switch problem that could be solved by taking out the 4WD 'switch' in the dash to fix or replace.

Am I correct in my theory? If so how do I go about diagnosing and fixing this?

I greatly appreciate the help!

Brad