Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Explorer Money Pit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Default Explorer Money Pit?

[size=2]Hi, 6 months ago my husband and I bought a 1991 Ford Explorer from a car auction. Getting it home, it began to act up, we had to buy a new starter, alternator, rear brakes, and we just got the transmission rebuilt. Now the barrens in the tire are bad and they said the arm holding the tire in place is rusted. We bought the car for $700 and put $2100 worth of work in it, We're unsure if we should throw in the towel or go all the way, we cant afford to put anymore bills off or to be without a vehicle and we're far from rich: (He's a carpenter and I'm a stay at home mom). There’s a couple other problems with the truck as well: the gas gage is broke, the driver side window doesn’t roll down, it needs new brake pads and there’s a hole in the exhaust. If we fix the barrens, is it most likely that something else will keep breaking and the truck will be a money pit? Since we already did the transmission, did we get the hard part out of the way now everything else is minor? There’s no way we can get even half the money back that we put into it by selling it. Leasing or financing a vehicle is not an option. And trading it in will screw us. Having a toddler and another on the way makes it really hard to save up for something good. But we are sick of going from one bad car to another each year. Any advice?

Old 02-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Default RE: Explorer Money Pit?

You should have invested a few bucks in CARFAX 'n run the vehicle history report (from the VIN) first. I have a '97 Exploder Sport that we got from CarMax 'n it's runnin' just fine. 'Ran the VIN 'n found it had been a fleet vehicle in Kansas... Prob'ly for VIP's. Low miles.