Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Explorer won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 03:03 PM
tlm
Default Explorer won't start

Hello All,

I need your help. I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC that won’t start.
I have replaced the battery, Alternator, Spark plugs and wire. Had the starter tested
and it works. (Fuel pump not sure because I’m working on it by myself). When I put
the key in the Ignition it dings once. When I turn the key to ACC - the check engine,
check gage, Battery, seatbelt, ABS and Theft lights all come on but within a second
the ABS and Theft lights go right back out , followed by the seat belt light. Thirty
seconds later the last 3 go out. My headlights, taillights, turn singal and radio all work.
I have checked for broken wires and bad fuses. Still it won’t start. If anyone can help
Please help after my husbands stay in the hospital I can’t afford to have AAA take it
To the dealer and the dealer charge an arm and a leg to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

tlm

Old 11-07-2019, 07:45 PM

sounds like a bad connection at the battery. probably the cables could be corroded inside.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:13 AM
tlm

Ok, I can recheck the connection after is daylight outside but how would I check the wires without slicing the insulation and possibly
causing a problem with them later down the road. Don't get me wrong I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty I just don't to add to the problem.

Thank you

Old 11-08-2019, 05:15 AM

Folks , please don't mind if I suggest a thing or two. Normally, due to courtesy, I don't like to stick my nose into another person's work That said, can we do this?

If the vehicle is parked where you can see the headlights shining on a surface, with the headlights on . attempt to start the engine. If the lights don't dim or go out battery and cables are OK.
From the limited info in the past posts, is it safe to assume the starter is cranking the engine, but the engine will not start running , yes/ no ?

Old 11-08-2019, 05:18 AM
tlm

Correct

Old 11-08-2019, 05:25 AM

OK, then we need to determine if we have both spark and fuel. Do you hear the in tank fuel pump run for the usual 2 seconds when you first turn the key on ?

If you try this with the doors closed,you shouldn't be bothered by the dinging. You can try this a few times after waiting about 10-15 seconds after turning the key off.

Also, when cranking the engine attempting to start it, does the check engine light go out ?

Last edited by hanky; 11-08-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:34 AM
tlm

Hanky, I'll get back with you shortly, I need to assist my husband for now.

Thank you

Old 11-08-2019, 01:26 PM
tlm

Hi Hanky,
Well I ran your tests and did more of my own, everything was reading good but then I remembered about 4 or 5 years back when my husband was driving the explorer all the time when he had a similar problem so he had the dealer fix it. At that time it was the crank position sensor( they spliced the wires and added a connector) so I checked it and the wires were loose so I wiggled them back in place tried to start it and it worked. I will re-tape them so they don't come loose again for a long time.

Hanky, thanks again for your help.

tlm

Old 11-08-2019, 04:09 PM

Thank you for the update.
That area was one of the questions I had asked. If the crank sensor is working when you crank over the engine the check engine light should go out . If it stays on there is a problem with the crank sensor or wiring. You did a fantastic job and probably know more than a lot of people that work on other people's cars.
Hope everything goes well for you and hubby, have a nice Thanksgiving!

Old 11-08-2019, 04:44 PM
tlm

Hanky Thank you for the acknowledgement, That means a lot at 54 years of age.

Thank you again and I hope you and your love have a wonderful Thanksgiving too.

tlm

Quick Reply: Explorer won't start