Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Help! 94 Explorer Power Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Default Help! 94 Explorer Power Window Problem

Hi Guys/

The LF power window on my 94 Explorer has "died" in the down position. I pulled the interior trim panel, removed all the visible nuts and bolts...and the motor/ regulator is still firmly attached. There are 3 rivets that appear to be holding the unit in place. Do I have to drill the rivets to remove the unit? If so, once they are gone does the motor/ regulator saparete from the glass with no trouble? I've done this job several times on GM cars, but never on a Ford. Any help is appreciated.

Thanx/

Old 07-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Default RE: Help! 94 Explorer Power Window Problem

Yes you must drill out the rivets, you can replace them with 1/4 bolts an nuts , or machine screws- I allways put a drop of blue loctite on them. , And then you can wiggle an twist an say a few bad words to get the assy. out . Normally I tape the window up across with some duck tape at the top of the door frame, or it you have a piece of thick plastic you can wedge it between the door frame an the glass, Pay close atten to WHERE the motor is attached to the REG.there are 2 small machine screws that hold it in place, On some models the reg arm is pivoted on a large spring an will try an collaspe on you.. Read the instructions on the new motor it should explain it to you.. Also if you hear a clicking as you push the window button you may just need a new motor gear as they are plastic an over time the lil dogs wear out an or break, in with case you can just replace the gear it far cheaperlike $5.00 I think vs like $65.00 for the motor, or If you wish some folks feel its such a hassle to get the motor out they prefer to just replace it as a complete unit, I have seen some of these motors go like 10-12 yrs. before failure , others I have seen only lst a year .

Old 07-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Default RE: Help! 94 Explorer Power Window Problem

Thanks. I drilled the rivets and got the assembly loose. Unfortunately (for me) I found out that I removed one too many bolts/ rivets...and the tension spring unwound. I finally said screw it, and took it to the shop where I learned about hidden nuts behind dimples in the door, etc. It's a strange system, but the motor did last 12 years...so I guess it was built Ford tough. I'll know better when the other motors start to fail.

I also bent the molding that runs along the top of the exterior door along the glass window. Anyone know what that trim piece is called so I can hunt a new one?

Thanks/