Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Leaking Coolant....Help Please ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Question Leaking Coolant....Help Please ASAP

I have a 2006 Explorer and a few days ago it ran hot. Apparently the coolant leaked out and I didnt notice, then when driving one day I seen the Temp gauge going up and could smell the coolant. So I made it back home and sure enough it was bone dry!

I filled it up and waited a few hours and took it for a test drive and everything went fine and was back to normal.

Well since then, it leaks all the coolant out!! Its a slow drip and leaks it all out in 6-7 hours.

Attached is some pics of where its coming from. This is the only area I see it dripping and notice it wet. Its on the Drive Side of the radiator

Any Help or Suggestions???

Attached Thumbnails Leaking Coolant....Help Please ASAP-leak.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 PM

You need to do some further checking.
Could it be leaking higher up the radiator and dripping where you can presently see it?
If everything is dry except for that area where it appears to be leaking ,a cooling line either for the auto trans or the power steering where it connects to the radiator may have a faulty connection.
We don't know at this point if it is only a connection or could the overheating problem split the radiator and the coolant is running down. If you have or can borrow a radiator pressure tester , that would help to pin down the exact place of the leak. Let us know what you find.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 PM

The only place I can see or feel it wet is that area (You can see in the pic).

The hose and connection seem fine, just looks like its coming out of that plastic somehow.

I am no mechanic by any means and would hate to spend $34792498 on a $20 fix, haha...All help and tips are welcome!

Here is a better pic...Arrow shows where it looks like it may be coming from

Attached Thumbnails Leaking Coolant....Help Please ASAP-leak2.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 03:01 PM

I can't tell from the pix and the arrow. Is it coming from the plastic shroud that covers the radiator or just from that line connection to the lower part of the radiator?

Old 02-05-2013, 03:08 PM

In either case some covering may need to be removed to see the exact area where the leak is located. If it is leaking from the large plastic covering the radiator , It would suggest the radiator itself has sprung a leak. We have to be thorough here because the leak may be the RESULT of a different problem and not necessarily a leaking radiator.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM

If you look at that photo, it looks like its coming from just above the line you see there where the arrow is and running down.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:22 PM

Without actually being there , I would suspect the radiator itself is leaking and most likely will need to be replaced. There were times radiators were repairable, but the stuff they are using these days doesn't allow for much to repair. I would suggest that you have someone look at it more thoroughly and confirm exactly where the leak is located.
Most shops can usually handle this type work if replacement is required.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 PM

You have a RADIATOR LEAK. to fix this issue you need to replace the radiator assembly and i cannot stress this enough. You need to get your PCM reprogrammed to the latest calibration. It contains new files for the cooling strategy. At the dealer it should cost you around 600 bucks or less. if you have any other questions. just PM me & your welcome

Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 PM

Hi FordLifeSaver,
Could you enlighten us on what was changed in the cooling system strategy for this 2006 Explorer. Thanks, hanky

Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 PM

NOTE: A REVISED FAN STRATEGY IS ALSO AVAILABLE FOR THESE APPLICATIONS is what it states. I can only assume that the PCM activates the cooling fans at a much earlier time when the vehicle is getting warmed up. Which maybe prior the fans were kicking on too late causing excessive pressure build up in the radiator and breaking through the radiators plastic seams.

Quick Reply: Leaking Coolant....Help Please ASAP