Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Sluggish Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Default Sluggish Start

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed before so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat.

I have a 99 Ford Explorer. Every year at about this time, it begins to be real sluggish on the startup. It almost sounds like a bad starter. But i've have the starter and the electrical system checked and no problems are found.

It's especially noticeable on a cold start. Keep in mind this is Texas and there is not real "cold start". What I mean is like starting it for the first time that day. Once it's been started, if I stop for a short period it will start right back up. But if it sits a few hours then it's gonna be sluggish again.

I had some type of fuel sensor replaced about this time last year and it seemed like the problem went away. But now it's doing it again and i'm wondering if it's that sensor again or just the fact that it's that time of year again. The last 3 years it's done this in the early fall....but once it actually gets cold outside it stops doing it. It doesn't do it when it's hot or cold outside..just when it's "mild" and humid.

It's very strange. Any ideas???

Old 11-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Default RE: Sluggish Start

If I'm reading your post right, you're complaining of hard start, long crank rather than a slow crank.

If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge, you'll want to connect it right after shutting off the engine for the last time at the end of the day. Check your pressure then, it should be roughly 35-45 PSI. This is the available fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Check it again in the morning without removing the gauge overnight. If it's more than 8-10 PSI lower than it was the night before then you've most likely got fuel leaking either past the fuel regulator and back to the tank, or back through a valve in the fuel pump. It could also mean that you have 1 or more leaking fuel injectors, but you didn't mention a smell of fuel around the engine compartment or tail pipe so I wouldn't think it to be an injector. In my experience, this is most often caused by the fuel pump allowing fuel pressure to bleed back into the fuel tank.

Old 11-14-2005, 02:28 AM

frdtek05 - Thank you for your response. Yes you are correct. I wasn't very good at explaining the problem; but yes it's hard start with a long crank time. If I step on the gas pedal and give it a little shot of gas it usually starts it OR if I take the key all the way back and then try again that will sometimes start it too. That's why I had thought it might be a starter issue.

I never smell gas. But it does seem to somehow be related to the fuel because more often than not if I give it a little shot at the gas pedal then it starts up.

I'm a single female and own a hammer, a screwdriver and a wrench...lol...but not the other tools/gauges you are referring to. So i'm at the mercy of the dealership. But going in with a little knowledge always helps.

Thanks again. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:43 AM

Hi,

I just joined the forum to post the problem I am having with my 99 Explorer and noticed it is sort of similar to yours.
Mine happened first about this time of year last year but it is cold here in Chicago. Was fine all summer long and now its back.
I try to start it and it either fires right up (about 66% of the time) or will sort of fire for 1/2 a second then just cranks away with no sign of firing at all. It does not seem to matter if it is stone cold or if it has sat for a few minutes while i'm in a store. Problem will pop up either way for about 1/3 of my start attempts in this wonderful chicago winter weather.

When it's not starting it's cranking fine and I dont smell gas at the tailpipe.

I have found that if I shut it off for about 20 seconds and turn it to on and wait for the humming to stop (i think that hummimgs the fuel pump pressurizing) then try to start it is my best chance to get it going. I'm not a fan of long cranking over 10 seconds.
Sometimes it will take me about 5 to 10 of these attampts to get it going. Sometimes It will do the 1/2 second belch start and then nothing but cranking when I try this too but eventually it will start if I keep cycling it.

My explorer will sit for several days where I dont run it and I was wondering if this had anything to do with it (maybe relay contacts are tarnishing or something like that). Do you run yours every day or does it tend to sit unused for 3 or 4 days at a a time?

I am going to post my problem as a new thread and will see what answers we get.